FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does 24 frame rate really matter?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
Does 24 frame rate really matter?
on May 29, 2011 at 12:22:28 am

What are you guys opinion on using 24p over 30. Personally I cannot tell the difference between those 2 frame rate. I think color grading make a video that filmy look the most, but I still want to hear from the pros

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Does 24 frame rate really matter?
on May 29, 2011 at 5:22:29 am

Here's a good explanation of frame rates and what the human eye percieves:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
A simpler way to put it, 30fps will look smoother and give your eye more detail than 24fps, but that's a very simple explanation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Does 24 frame rate really matter?
on May 31, 2011 at 1:43:19 pm

[Victor Nguyen] "What are you guys opinion on using 24p over 30. Personally I cannot tell the difference between those 2 frame rate."

I agree with you that there's a relatively small difference between 24p and 30p -- but there's a big difference between either of those progressive frame rates and interlaced 30 fps video. We are somewhat visually conditioned to think of 24p as filmic (movies) and 30i/60i as real (sports and the news).

[Victor Nguyen] "I think color grading make a video that filmy look the most"

I absolutely agree with this sentiment, although I wouldn't give all the credit to color grading. High production value all around, especially lighting and cinematography, contribute just as much. So many people get swept up in the 24p-ness of "film look" that they forget all the other subtle cues that affect the viewer's perception.

And don't forget audio! No one notices good sound, but bad sound pulls you right out of the drama.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]