FORUMS: list search recent posts

A.E. (CS4) to Scratch workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Diamond
A.E. (CS4) to Scratch workflow
on May 25, 2011 at 6:14:25 pm

Hi

I apologize in advance if this has been answered. I'm new to working with Red in After Effects - I've searched on the reduser.net forum, and all over the internet. If this question is inappropriate here, sorry again - I won't post here anymore.

I finished a commercial originally shot 4K on the red. I was told we were finishing Pro Res HQ for output to HDCAM SR. So I cut it in FCP and did two comps in After Effects (CS 4). So...now the producer changed his mind and we're finishing on a Scratch system with the original Red files.

I understand the FCP EDL workflow. But with After Effects, I've never done this for Red files. These questions will sound very naive.

1) Can I output an EDL from A.E. so they can re-create the compositions in Scratch?

or if not,

1) What format (DPX...) do I use for the Red footage for the After Effect comps? Do I need to convert the original files in RedCine-X to get them into After Effects?

2) Can I just plug in the Red files into the old comps? Or do I need to start over in a new comp.

3) What format quicktime do I output from A.E. for scratch?

4) Can CS4 work for all of the above?

Again, thank you in advance. I'm at kind of a loss here, never having done this before. If I need to be banned from this forum for asking such basic questions, let me know. Just a little frustrated.

Jake

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: A.E. (CS4) to Scratch workflow
on May 27, 2011 at 3:09:20 pm

Jake, I don't have any direct experience with this workflow, but I'll try to point you in the direction as best I can.

[Jake Diamond] "1) Can I output an EDL from A.E. so they can re-create the compositions in Scratch?"

Nope. AE is not an NLE.

[Jake Diamond] "1) What format (DPX...) do I use for the Red footage for the After Effect comps? Do I need to convert the original files in RedCine-X to get them into After Effects?"

AE CS4 can handle R3D files with the REDCODE importer plugin -- see RED's download page [link] for details. Of course, converting them with RedCine-X would work, too.

[Jake Diamond] "3) What format quicktime do I output from A.E. for scratch"

I think you should talk to your SCRATCH artist about their preferred import format and settings.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
Re: A.E. (CS4) to Scratch workflow
on May 30, 2011 at 12:42:54 am

Walter,

Thank you very much. It's all becoming a little clearer.

Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]