FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Format for Avid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angel Nieves
File Format for Avid
on May 16, 2011 at 3:16:02 am

I've been working on Final Cut/After Effects jobs, but now I have an upcoming Avid/After Effects job. Can someone tell me the proper file format I should output to for the Avid? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: File Format for Avid
on May 16, 2011 at 10:59:55 am

[Angel Nieves] "I've been working on Final Cut/After Effects jobs, but now I have an upcoming Avid/After Effects job. Can someone tell me the proper file format I should output to for the Avid?"

Yes -- the editor you're collaborating with can.

I don't mean to be glib, but a quick chat with the editor about the deliverables at the beginning of the process can save a lot of time and effort later, and there may be project-specific considerations that we could only guess at on an Internet forum. Assume nothing, and ask about everything. Container, codec, raster size, frame rate, and audio specs (if you're also delivering audio).

For your reference, Avid's compressed HD codec is called DNxHD, and it's a free download from their website.

See these recent threads:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1000090
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/880181

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Angel Nieves
on May 16, 2011 at 7:10:37 pm

Problem is, I'm the editor I'll be collaborating with. Yes, I'm both the editor and the After Effects Artist. Therefore, I need to have the answers. If this were for Final Cut, which is what I'm accustomed to, I would know that I need to make .mov files, and normally use either h.264 or ProRes codecs. But I have no idea what to output to for the Avid, or what are the best lossless codecs, etc.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 17, 2011 at 11:49:28 am

[Angel Nieves] "Yes, I'm both the editor and the After Effects Artist. Therefore, I need to have the answers. If this were for Final Cut, which is what I'm accustomed to, I would know that I need to make .mov files, and normally use either h.264 or ProRes codecs. But I have no idea what to output to for the Avid, or what are the best lossless codecs, etc."

DNxHD is to Avid what ProRes is to FCP. Without any more information, I think this is as good a starting point as any. I would never recommend delivering H.264 to editorial. H.264, ProRes, and DNxHD are all lossy codecs, but ProRes and DNxHD are mastering-quality.

It sounds like your underlying question is more an Avid question than an After Effects question; maybe the Avid forum [link] would be a better place to ask?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]