FORUMS: list search recent posts

I own a Fiber Channel SAN system

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
I own a Fiber Channel SAN system
on Nov 1, 2017 at 10:08:20 pm

but now that I have finally realized, that between macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and Windows 10, that my investment is completely worthless, and that I can't even sell it on ebay, that I must go to work for the local car wash at $7.75 per hour ($15 if I am in California) because even though I have been editing professional videos for over 15 years, now that my XSAN system is obsolete, I must re evaluate my life, and decide how I should proceed for my future. I certainly could learn FCP X, Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve, and figure out how to purchase a $3000 QNAP, but NO, I realize that this stage of my life is over, and I must go to work for the local car wash. Maybe if I shine those wheels good for the guys that are plumbers and electricians, I can get some good tips. And maybe I can take my family to McDonalds this evening for dinner !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: I own a Fiber Channel SAN system
on Nov 1, 2017 at 11:59:20 pm

I need my car washed Bob, so you have a job anytime you need one.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Nov 2, 2017 at 6:08:32 am

All is not lost Bob. Just use that old PowerMac G5 as a file server from the SAN to your Leading Edge 386 PC. I'm sure you can also make use of that DF/X Composium, somewhere.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:27:52 am

Bob never likes my jokes... I'm just kidding!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 3, 2017 at 12:06:23 pm

I love your jokes Scott. I was hoping to offend someone in this situation, but apparently, no takers this time.
What I observe, as FCP 7 fades into the sunset, as Apple changes their OS and hardware to something completely incompatible with "everyones" existing hardware, that the reality of "oh my God, all my gear is obsolete" is starting to face everyone, and perhaps because of the economy, people are more resistant than ever to re invest into their companies (except for new young people just getting into the business). It makes me realize (I guess I am blind) why clothing companies target young people - the old folks say "my shirt and pants are just fine - leave me alone". Well, the same goes with the video gear, but the game has dramatically changed, and I see the strong resistance to this - more than ever. Companies like Blackmagic Design, and QNAP, have certainly rocked the boat, and that "boat" is starting to sink.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 11, 2017 at 5:04:05 pm

Through reading about people's set ups on this forum it becomes clear that most folks are terrified to make dramatic changes with their systems. The fact that there's still a FCP7 subset here is kind of mind blowing. And all of this is quite surprising to me since the key to survival in the video post world is staying even or ahead of the technical curve. I clearly remember the days of $50,000 Avid systems or $10,000 Media100's and so by comparison, today's upgrade costs are a fantastic bargain and therefore it makes no sense that folks resist upgrading.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]