FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAN still an option?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Carlos Aguirre
SAN still an option?
on Jul 25, 2017 at 1:00:40 am

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to figure it our if SAN still an option.
I was an owner of a Post studio with 7 editbay's running on a SAN network.
Basically all MAC bas for FCP + Premiere + Resolve.
We was using metasan at that time, and overall was very stable, so no complains.

As must companies this days, I been force to downsize and now I'm working from my home studio, formerly my garage, haha.

My current needs are just to hook 3 Mac edit bays (running 10.12) wiht my current storage, 4 (14TB) Infotrend Raids.
Is there any affordable and reliable way to do this ?
I know that this raids are old, but they are really good. Overall each one give me about 300m/s I/O that is fast enough for me.

I know the natural step will be to upgrade to 10Gb network, that I'll love to, but can afford to buy no raids.

So here are some questions:
Is still any application, that let me share my Fibre Channel Raid, trough 3 editbays, using the most current MAC OS ?
Is there any way to convert my Fibre network storage to 10GB ?

Hope I make my self clear.
I appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.
JC

Juan Carlos Aguirre
HTV Studio
http://www.htvstudio.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
Re: SAN still an option?
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:19:12 am

Hey Juan,

There are a few ways you can do this. If you want to go a little DIY, you can use Thunderbolt to Fibre Channel adapters, connect the FC RAIDs up to a MacMini and reshare them as AFP shares. Then go Thunderbolt to 10GbE to a Netgear ProSafe, which can go 10GbE out to the workstations. It's not particularly fancy or elegant, but for basic sharing it will get the job done.

If you want to step up to a managed solution, this is what the Platform Portable is designed to do, turn existing storage into shared storage. Most users use it with Thunderbolt storage, as that's more common; but you can certainly put a FC HBA into it. This option would be a bit more expensive, but offer more media management features, rendering, transcoding, etc. http://promax.com/products/platform-portable/

Hit me up if you have any questions and good luck!

Best,

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Aug 29, 2017 at 12:35:00 pm

Juan Carlos,

We have done that very thing for clients by using the Echo Bridge product from GBLabs. http://gblabs.com/products/ECHO_Bridge/

Existing Fiber or SAS storage can be connected to the Bridge, or a switch to the Bridge, and shared out over ethernet. In most cases the performance exceeds that of the SAN since there is no software overhead.

It is very affordable, and extends the life of your fiber channel storage. Awesome product!

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 2, 2017 at 12:56:57 am

Hi -
I am responding to this post, based on a financial report from EVS in Belgium. They are falling apart, as well as
AVID and everyone else, including GB Labs. Lets face it - NONE of you can compete with the Chinese companies, that are providing amazing products at ridiculous low prices (that's right Tom, you cannot pay for your rent or your health insurance for your family). GB Labs, ProMax, etc. CANNOT compete with the ridiculous prices of ALL of the Taiwanese companies that offer these services. And even though YOU have wonderful support - do you know what - Juan Carol Aguirre (and everyone else that is posting on Creative Cow, fcp.co, and all the other forums) wants to spend ZERO money . do you have something that he can spend $2000 for that will solve his problem - NO - then you are FIRED! All the conventional companies that we are familiar with will collapse (just like Houston with Hurricane Harvey) and you are ALL DOOMED. I hope that you saved money in your retirement accounts, because ITS OVER ! Do you understand. No one wants to spend ONE PENNY, and to convince them to spend $2000 or $3000 or "God Forbid" $10,000 - well, it's not happening - ever again. It's over.

by the way, I re read my post, and I did not mean to target GB Labs, and ProMax - ALL OF YOU American and Western European companies are going to GO OUT OF BUSINESS. ITS OVER. Start planning for your retirement now.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]