FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viability of 4K Over Ethernet w/ SAN?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hayes
Viability of 4K Over Ethernet w/ SAN?
on May 11, 2016 at 6:54:09 pm

I teach Cinematic Arts and Graphic Arts at the high school level. About three years ago I looked into a SAN setup (Final Share) so we could have up to 10 students editing ProRes 1080 at the same time over GigE from a Mac Pro SAN. Unfortunately, my grant fell through.

Fast forward to today and I am very lucky with a very generous grant. I was allotted $15K for a SAN plus new computers and other goodies. However, we have since purchased new cameras that film 4K, a 75" 4K for viewing in class, and our local student film festival has a 4K projector. We have only filmed a handful of projects in 4K this year, but with a Varicam, (2) FS7s, and (2) A7Siis we are going to be filming all narrative projects in 4K going forward and possibly all school broadcast segments because .... why not?

Anyhow, 4K is a whole new bandwidth issue. Is it even possible to edit 4K over ethernet? What about multiple edits at once? Or should I buy ten or so TB2/USB3 External 1TB SSD drives have them for different groups. We capture and edit from the SSDs and backup/archive to a relatively cheap NAS?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Viability of 4K Over Ethernet w/ SAN?
on May 11, 2016 at 7:19:42 pm

the answer to your question is YES, you can edit 4K over ethernet, and certainly 4K over 10G ethernet (which is just using Cat6 cabling). Almost every shared storage company can sell you a system for under $15,000.
So exactly what is your question - who can do this for you - anyone can do this for you, except for your
district IT personnel. Any vendor you see here advertising on Creative Cow can make this happen for you - for $15,000 - and for less than $15,000 dollars.

You can accomplish exactly what you want for the budget that you want. Just hire the right people to do this for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Hayes
on May 11, 2016 at 10:20:42 pm

You answered my question. I wasn't sure if it was even possible. I have trouble editing locally on our iMacs. So, I assumed it didn't work, but thought I'd ask. I tried to search on-line, but most stuff is talking about X amount of 1080 ProRes 422 streams.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 11, 2016 at 10:35:22 pm

I know for a fact that you have companies that are RIGHT NEAR YOU that sell exactly what you want. And "X" amount of 1080 ProRes 422 streams happens over Ethernet with no problem.

We found you. You will be contacted soon !!!!!!! (No escaping me !).

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]