FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY ethernet Shared video Storage update

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahmed Abdallah Madkour
DIY ethernet Shared video Storage update
on Oct 25, 2015 at 6:38:02 am

The MetaLan on the DIY 2 years old post is no longer sold. What other options do we have for sharing protocols?

The connectivity via 10gig gives great bandwidth boost, but remains the sharing protocols for mac, linux and windows. Smb and Nfs are they good enough or do we have better options?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DIY ethernet Shared video Storage update
on Oct 25, 2015 at 6:54:30 pm

1) Tiger Technology sells Tiger Store now, instead of MetaLan. Have you contacted them ?
2) Studio Network Solutions sells SanMP - and they have a iSCSI target - have you contacted them ?
3) SMB is good enough
4) AFP is good enough
5) NFS is good enough.

Exactly WHO have you called to ask about what to do, to replace your MetaLan system ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ahmed Abdallah Madkour
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:05:29 am

I figured out today that tiger technology sells the new product Tiger store, but really still wanted to know what you think is the best DIY route.

I have been looking at ZFS and Microsoft's new storage space options plus the conventional hardware raid ones, but the sharing communication protocol remained unclear to me.

My understanding is that iscsi targets wouldn't be a working solution for a shared storage. And there are several iscsi initiators/targets from microsoft, linux ....etc
I think Fcoe can be of benefit although I'm not sure how.

How does the three NAS protocols compare in terms of performance? Although I still think that block level access is a much faster choice.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:49:22 pm

you can purchase a very nice ZFS system from Small Tree, LumaForge, or even Other World Computing.
NFS is used for FCP-X because of necessity. Both AFP and SMB are excellent.
I am sorry, but if you are trying to build your own system, instead of going with one of the wonderful
working solutions on the market, I cannot assist you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Ahmed Abdallah Madkour
on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:41:20 pm

Is this different from performing a solaris /FreeBSD ZFS system?
I think my problem is more about the sharing protocol rather than the filesystem.

Return to posts index

Jim Boas
on Oct 28, 2015 at 7:31:02 pm

Hello Ahmed,
there are a lot of great SAN & NAS solutions out there as Bob has mentioned and I agree with him, if you are trying to build your own SAN, its possible but why not work with people that specialize in building and supporting them.

Now, another option to check out is the Genesis Unlimited solution from Scale Logic as it is a cost effective "TRUE FILE LEVEL" SAN solution in a box with no need for expensive Meta Data Servers or a Fibre Channel Switch. As a matter of fact, the Genesis Unlimited has multiple connectivity options including support for 8/16GB FC, 1/10/40Gbit Ethernet/iSCSI and 40Gbit Infiniband. You can also mix and match them.

The Genesis Unlimited is a specifically design appliance for media centric customers (not your everyday IT RAID) and has features in it that no other RAID system has including Zero Impact Rebuild, Real Time Initiator and the ability to offer Quality of Service where you can give priority bandwidth to specific clients. Key features for M&E editing applications.

Now, the #1 key difference is that this system uses the HyperFS File System, it is NOT a SAN software management layer above an NTFS or HFS+ File system. It is the file system and also supports not only Block Level storage but also File Level storage under One Single Global name space and you can add clients and more storage on the fly.

for more information, you can go to http://scalelogicinc.com/html/genesis-unlimited-san-appliance.php or just go to http://www.scalelogicinc.com

Now for those who don't know who Scale Logic Inc. is, Scale Logic is the team that lead Rorke Data for 28+ years specializing in designing, integrating and deploying thousands of SAN & NAS workflow solutions, way before all of the vendors who do it today. Scale Logic continues to support hundreds of Rorke Data RAID, SAN & NAS installations around the world still working today all across the M&E industry. So Scale Logic is not a new company trying to break into this competitive M&E storage market. Scale Logic is a continuance of a company who was a leader in the M&E storage industry for 3 decades who continues to develop new, cost effective, game changing solutions with decades of experience.

Jim Boas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]