FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-user 4K for $10k?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Field
Multi-user 4K for $10k?
on Oct 3, 2015 at 2:55:59 am

Hi COW. Apologies if this covers old ground but I've read a LOT of posts and still unclear...

I'd like to spend around $10,000 - $20,000 to get shared storage allowing the following:
- At least two editors cutting simultaneously on MacBook Pros
- Both editing 4K Prores HQ (110MB/s per stream, and 2 streams per user would be nice)
- RIAD 5 (or similar protection)
- Networking functionality so the MacBooks can connect to each other
- Some way to connect and share USB3 external drives (USB3 drives just for moving backups etc not for multi-user editing, obviously)

Can it be done? What would you suggest?
Your genius would be most appreciated!

Reuben Field
lighstcamerabusiness.com.au

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Multi-user 4K for $10k?
on Oct 3, 2015 at 3:03:26 pm

yes it can be done, and it can be done in your price range.
Exactly what dealers have you contacted so far, and what have they suggested to you. Every brand you see here on Creative Cow will do exactly what you want, in the price range that you want. There is only one thing that you can't do - order "a box" from a mail order company, plug in your two Mac's and have it work instantly without talking to a dealer or someone that does this. The desire of "can't I just buy a new Mac Pro, plug in two thunderbolt cables, and BAM, everything just shares" - that doesn't exist. but your concern should be "how much will this cost me", and there is no question that what you want can easily be accomplished with your budget.

It's very easy and inexpensive to order a toilet, but if your not a plumber, you are not going to get your toilet to work.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Oct 5, 2015 at 4:48:27 pm

Reuben,

It can be done very easily, just like Bob said above. If you can give me a call and we can go further in depth about how we can make this happen. I have an idea that I would love to run by you that I think would work great.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-476-4308

Return to posts index

Elvin Jasarevic
on Oct 18, 2015 at 5:35:14 pm

Hi Reuben,

If you contact Matt from Digistore in AU, he can provide you with the solution, but i will try to provide with answer to it as well.

Among other DDP products, we have 1U SSD unit and we call it MicroDDP. As you might know DDP is ethernet based SAN with guaranteed performance.

It has 8 SSD drives, 2 x 1GbE and 2 x 10GbE RJ45. Not only that you can combine 2 x 1GbE to get 200MB/s but in future and when there is request for 4K DPX 10Bit, you can combine 2 x 10GbE and get over 1.6GB/s.

There is also model with 4 x SSD and 7 x 1GbE. So you can combine 2-3 ports and double/triple cable speed.

In AU we have MTV and Disney who use MCS - Multiple Connections per Session for doubling the cable speed and Matt can send you some videos/images of this as well.

I hope this helps.

http://www.ddpsan.asia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]