FORUMS: list search recent posts

Qnap TVS-871T

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Spiraletti
Qnap TVS-871T
on Sep 24, 2015 at 10:46:41 am

Hi All,

What are peoples thoughts on this new NAS/DAS/SAN that Qnap describe as "the world’s first Thunderbolt DAS/NAS/iSCSI SAN triple solution".

It seems to make a lot of promises of speed and has been designed with Video Professionals in mind.

I'm looking for a NAS for three PC edit suites running premiere to share and edit off. Initially I was looking at Synology 10GBe solutions and a switch but this looks like a better option with greater flexibility.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Qnap TVS-871T
on Sep 24, 2015 at 2:51:13 pm

the tvs 871t is a great product. But you still use it with 10Gb Ethernet. You use the Thunderbolt
port to expand to a second 8 bay (and more 8 bay ) expansion chassis. You use the native
10G port to go to a 10G switch, and that is how you connect your client computers.

Thunderbolt networking does not work, so if you think that you are going to plug the thunderbolt
ports on your computers into the TVS871T, you are mistaken.

The only shared storage thunderbolt product is the Accusys, and this requires an XSAN or Tiger Share server, and then only gives you 3 client access with no expandability. And the insides of the Accusys is not really thunderbolt, it has internal converters. And it's $10.000.

You are looking at the QNAP 871T because of it's aggresively low price. It's a very nice product, but you will still use 10GbaseT for network, not thunderbolt - again, it can connect to your Mac as a storage device, but for shared storage (to use this as a server for multiple computers) - you will still use thunderbolt.

With that said, a 10G switch, and thunderbolt to 10G boxes are cheap today, so there is no excuse not to proceed with what you want to do.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tony Spiraletti
on Sep 25, 2015 at 6:39:51 am

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Qnap state that you can connect two thunderbolt enabled computers and share the same material at the same time. They also state you can also use the 10Gbe connections at the same time and access the same material. They make mention that you get full bandwidth of 10Gbe and TB2 at the same time...... Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 26, 2015 at 12:44:32 am

2 thunderbolt computers sharing the same info off the same 871T at the same time - what can I say - I have not tried it, so what the hell do I know.
I can assure you that if you buy a switch, and connect via 10G with Promise or Sonnet adaptors, you will have a working system, with the Tbolt ports for expansion.

Other than accusys, I have never ever seen a working thunderbolt shared storage system - even a 2 port one. So I just don't know.
I believe nothing until I try it.

Is your goal to have only 2 Tbolt workstation share media with no expansion of either more storage or more users ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tony Spiraletti
on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:29:43 am

Thanks Bob,

To be honest, iII'll be setting up a 10Gbe network with switch so probably don't really need the Thunderbolt for now, just thought it looked like a good a option and Qnap do state that tow edit suites can connect to it via TB2 and share the drive, editing at the same time.

I think ii will probably go for the regular TVS-871.

In terms of choosing between i3, i5 and i7 versions does the processor play a big part in delivering content from the drives and out the 10Gbe ports or are Qnaps faster processors only for transcoding and running their apps?

Cheers

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:52:23 pm

Tony,

when youre ready to explore your options give me a call. I think we can talk and find something that will fit your needs.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944
bryce@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Tony Spiraletti
on Sep 29, 2015 at 8:59:53 am

Thanks Bryce,

I'm in Australia. I'm assuming you guys are U.S. only?

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Sep 29, 2015 at 4:48:12 pm

Tony,

We also deal with people overseas as well. If you're able to call, would be more than happy to help you. If not feel free to email me and we can talk through that and help you with all your needs.

Bryce Arroyo
714-374-4944
bryce@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]