FORUMS: list search recent posts

SoftSharX Edit

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Recht
SoftSharX Edit
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:49:46 pm

Is anyone using SoftSharX Edit? Does it work? Is it any good? Any caveats?

It seems to be the successor to Vidsharx but their site doesn't look like it's been updated for almost a year now. http://www.softsharx.com/

If it does work, it looks like just what I need to set up a small 2-seat Avid network for me and an assistant, running v8.4 on Mavericks using DNxHD36 media.

If anyone has any experience or opinions about it, I'd love to hear what you think.

Adam

Return to posts index

Bernard Lamborelle
Re: SoftSharX Edit
on Sep 17, 2015 at 2:11:15 pm

Hi Adam,

You might also want to consider projectStore basic that comes bundled with Tiger Store. It offers cost-effective Avid file system emulation. The compatibility is such that you can literally copy&paste your Avid ISIS to Tiger Store and keep editing. You will then have an upgrade path to projectStore PRO

Check both options out at: http://www.tiger-technology.com/products/project-series/

Let me know if you have any question or would like some evals.

Cheers,

Bernard.

Bernard Lamborelle
bernard at tiger-technology.com
http://www.tiger-technology.com
514-667-2015

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:55:59 pm

Hi Adam -
I love David Norden and the guys at SoftSharX. And Bernard's Tiger Store from Tiger Techologies is wonderful too.

I am responding because I want to make it very clear, that the expense of doing this has nothing to do with the software - which is minimal cost. You still need a dedicated computer to be the server. You still need a big fast RAID array that can keep up with multiple clients (even if it's DNxHD 36 with 2 clients - no you can't use your Lacie Rugged drive as the storage array). And you still need a hi speed network, not the 50 dollar switch you bought at the local Office Depot.

So no matter what you choose, you still have to purchase OTHER STUFF to make a shared storage system work. SoftSharX and Tiger Store are both wonderful choices, but they are only part of the puzzle.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Adam Recht
on Sep 22, 2015 at 4:52:23 pm

Thanks for responding, both! Great to get Bob's endorsement of these solutions.

I already have an Infortrend RAID directly connected to my Mac Pro via dual SAS which I hope should be able to keep up.

I'd hoped to be able to add a second seat directly connected to one of the Mac's internal GigE ports since the Softsharx website says "You donĀ“t even need a dedicated Mac to act as a server... You can use your editing station BOTH as an editor and a server" - but would you advise against doing that, Bob? Overexcited marketing-blurb is one thing and the real world is another. I'm wondering, too, if GigE will be fast enough.

If I really do need a dedicated server then perhaps Bernard's solution will turn out to be the most cost-effective - I'm quite happy to buy the OTHER STUFF I need to make it all work reliably. I'm a bit worried that the SoftSharX site doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

Adam

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:46:22 am
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Oct 2, 2015 at 11:43:51 am

Hi Adam, feel free to drop me a line if you want to try a free (open source) alternative.

Unlike VidSharx/SoftSharX indiestor (free and pro) are actively developed, and have a much better feature set (IMO). You will have to run the storage on Linux, but we are happy to support you on that.

Hope this is of some help,

Cheers.

alex@indiestor.com
Open Source Shared Storage

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]