FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage System for Post - Edit and Archive

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bishop
Storage System for Post - Edit and Archive
on Jun 26, 2015 at 4:52:22 pm

Hello there, we are in the final stages of purchasing a new storage system and looking for something that is a complete end to end solution. We have narrowed down a few options and curious if anyone has installed something similar recently and if they can shed some light on their decision process.

Option 1. Quantum Stornext - 80TB useable for editorial with a 80 slot lto-6 tape library

Option 2. Expand our Small Tree Titanium Z well over 200TB useable and add a StoreDNA archive or LTO-6 Library from Oracle and run archiware.

In both areas we are looking at CatDV or Portal to run as a MAM on top of the systems. Not looking to start a flame war, just curious about people who have had to install similar systems.

We have also looked at Promise, OpenDrive, Oracle, Promax and they are all great options.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Storage System for Post - Edit and Archive
on Jun 29, 2015 at 2:05:27 am

Is this post a joke question?
There is no way you are the engineer at your facility
You own a small tree. Are you having even one problem with it?
Why would you even consider stornext?
Promise is a drive array. They do no offe a turnkey solution
Since when is oracle in the video shared storage business?
Pro max makes a wonderful low end solution with patform and open drive offers a super fantastic super
High end solution with a Solaris server that costs a fortune
Can you afford an open drive system?
And exactly what don't you like about small tree that you currently own?
You can get wonderful lto solutions from storage DNA,archiware, toils,etc. but oracle? Are you kidding me?
And there are no end to end locutions. These are all piece together with gear from brands that you have mentioned
In your post
You don't think that there is one company that does all of this, do you?
This is what system integrators or chief engineers or it directors are for a living.
And one more time- exactly what don't you like about your small tre that you have been told that oracle can
Do better ? (Oracle, really)

Bob zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Matt Bishop
on Jun 29, 2015 at 2:23:03 am

Bob always an angry fellow, I recommend a pet it will help.

Thanks for the adviceā€¦

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 29, 2015 at 2:00:44 pm

OK, I will give a more professional response.
replies below -

Option 1. Quantum Stornext - 80TB useable for editorial with a 80 slot lto-6 tape library

REPLY - I find Quantum Stornext to be overly complicated, and overly expensive for what they offer. I don't like having to pay for a license for each Stornext client. I don't like fiber channel connectivity when 10G (and even 1G) works perfectly fine in 99% of the workflows.

Option 2. Expand our Small Tree Titanium Z well over 200TB useable and add a StoreDNA archive or LTO-6 Library from Oracle and run archiware.

REPLY - what a great solution. You have a working Titanium Z, keep going. Expand your storage. Everything can be 10G Ethernet, and if you need lots of smaller workstations with less bandwidth, you can simply add a 10G to 1G switch from Netgear, and have lots more clients connected to the system. Don't you get great support from Small Tree ? Do they charge you a license fee for each computer ?
StorageDNA makes a great LTO backup system. These guys understand our industry, and while I like some other LTO solutions, StorageDNA is an excellent choice, that will connect up right into your Ethernet network, making archive very easy. I had no idea that Oracle even offered any hardware solutions.

In both areas we are looking at CatDV or Portal to run as a MAM on top of the systems. Not looking to start a flame war, just curious about people who have had to install similar systems.

REPLY - CatDV is wonderful. It's one of the main asset managers I install all the time. Again, runs on a Mac, easy to use, easy to tie into your existing Small Tree Ethernet network. I like easy.

We have also looked at Promise, OpenDrive, Oracle, Promax and they are all great options

REPLY - OpenDrive - I wanted to start crying at NAB when I saw their system. It's insanely fast - the chassis they showed at NAB had 72 SSD drives, doing 5K and 6K dpx workflow is nothing for this company. I was intimidated by the Solaris operating system (as I know nothing about it), but it's a 40Gig Ethernet based system, using Mellanox and Solarflare cards. It's great -if you can afford it. Promax Platform is a wonderful system, but your current Small Tree outperforms it. Why change. Promise makes fiber channel drive arrays, so if you are going to setup your Stornext system from Quantum, this would be choice of drive array. Or you could use Infortrend. I was not aware that Oracle was in the video shared storage business.

You will find that everything works today - there are no bad systems - only super cheap ones (like Drobo) which you are not considering, and in defense of Drobo - they never advertise themselves as a shared storage system. If it were my nickel, I would stick with an Ethernet based system, just like you have now - be it 1G, 10G or 40G.

As for the pet - I have two birds, and they poop on me every day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Jun 29, 2015 at 3:33:22 pm

Hey Matt,

I don't think you and I have connected yet, I see you already got your dose of bob's sophomoric berating. It's apparently a required tax on this forum...

That said, is there a specific reason you would move away from Small Tree? If you already have that in place, I'm wondering what would be the hesitation in just growing that system, as that is usually what people do when all is well.

If you want specific users to chime in, honestly, a LOT more vendors hang out on here than end users. It's few and far between that I've seen an end user chime in.

That said, if you want to talk to any ProMAX Platform users, I'm happy to connect you. If you want to talk technical differences between those solutions, feel free to hit me up as well.

Either way, let us know why you 'might' move off of small tree and depending on why, you may get some good info on your best options.

Good luck!

Nate Cooper - ProMAX
nate.cooper@promax.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Ackland
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:19:31 pm

Hi Matt,

Feel free to reach out to me. I would be glad to help you out with your options and provide you with a professional one stop shop for your needs.

Ryan Ackland
714-374-4944
ryan@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Jul 1, 2015 at 9:40:20 pm

I'd expand the working smalltree and daisy a storage dna onto that.

Return to posts index

Elvin Jasarevic
on Jul 25, 2015 at 4:41:16 pm

If something works, no need to change, just expand Small Tree so it can become Big tree..
However always keep an eye on competition, and see how they do....

elvin@ddp.jp
http://www.ddpsan.asia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]