FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are there any cost effective alternatives to a san that operate like a san?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Miller
Are there any cost effective alternatives to a san that operate like a san?
on Feb 6, 2015 at 4:05:08 pm

Sorry for any inaccurate terminology, this is not a strong area of mine, but I'm having trouble finding info about this online. Ideally, the company I work for would get the hardware and software to run a program like SanMP that stations can work off of with mountable drives and then have a shared drive for the projects.

My experience with networks has always been with Avid, so I'm not sure of the Premiere specific pros and cons or if they are set up the same way as far as sharing projects.

As far as a I know, the cost for a san is just too high. Does anyone have any alternative solutions? We have 3 late 2013 mac pros and a mac pro laptop that would need to be connected to it.

Any helpful tips on get the most out of a nas would be helpful as well.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Mark

Return to posts index

Jess Hartmann
Re: Are there any cost effective alternatives to a san that operate like a san?
on Feb 7, 2015 at 5:23:28 pm

Mark,

I think the obvious question here is what do you mean by affordable? There are many solutions on the market that address these needs. Many of them are listed here on the Creative Cow including my Company, ProMAX Systems.

The other question is do you need a SAN or a NAS. The capabilities of these two technologies have been converging in the last few years putting a lot of price pressure on high cost SAN solutions.

Adobe Premiere Pro will work effectively with either technology, SAN or NAS. Based on your needs, prices in the market generally start at $10K and go up based speed, capacity, number of workstations and other workflow enhancements.

Jess Hartmann
ProMAX Systems
http://www.promax.com

Return to posts index

Mark Miller
on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:40:38 pm

Hi Jess, thanks for the reply.

Ideally, something along the lines of an Avid Unity or Isis system that multiple stations could be working off of. So I believe what we need is a san, correct? I've used SanMP before which I liked a lot, but I think that is a bit out of our budget.

-Mark

Return to posts index

Jess Hartmann
on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:07:03 pm

Mark,

You actually don't necessarily need a SAN, but you do need a shared storage system that is designed for video. We have a team of consultants here and a network of resellers that can go thru a workflow consultation to make sure you get the right solution.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

Jess Hartmann
ProMAX Systems
http://www.promax.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:19:27 am

oh no ! Here comes crazy Bob Zelin !

Mark - what the HELL do you mean SANmp is out of your budget ? You can buy a SNS Prodigy for $4700 dollars for 4 users This is out of your budget ? If you don't have $4700 for a shared storage system for multiple users, then you should not be in this business.

Everyone mentioned here (SNS, ProMax, Maxx Digital, Facilis, etc. etc) has solutions for you for under 10 grand. EXACTLY WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET - because you know what you get for $1500 ? NOTHING (which is what you deserve if your total budget is $1500). And NO, you aint' gonna get a Drobo to work as your shared storage system.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Lin Brummett
on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:56:29 pm

I look into the Cow forums just to see what Bob has to say, it usually makes my day and I come away smarter for the experience.

Search Bob Zellin in the forums and he will tell you of every workable option out there and why any other solution won't work. Believe it.

Lin Brummett
Warm Springs Productions
http://www.warmsprings.tv

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:11:44 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Reiner on Feb 20, 2015 at 3:14:18 pm

I too enjoy Bob's posts on the cow. Pulls no punches, but seems like good honest guy.

I do wonder if he does everything in his life with as much swagger. I'd like to watch him return a wrong order at a restaurant. "I ordered this medium-rare, does this look medium-rare, NO IT DOES NOT."

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:17:02 pm

Hi Kevin -
I guess I can be pretty rude, but not to torment a server. If an order comes out completely wrong, I have no issue bypassing the innocent server, and bring it back to the kitchen myself, and say "sorry, this is not what I ordered". Why punish the innocent ?
I am pretty polite with restaurant workers, but I am not polite with the equipment manufacturers that you see on Cow (and others), which is why you see that basically no manufacturer wants to be associated with me. After all, it's people like you that hire me and pay me, not the equipment manufacturers. Why should I be "professional" with them, if their product sucks, or doesn't work as promised. I need to be polite and professional to you, not to "them".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
on Feb 23, 2015 at 2:14:36 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Reiner on Feb 23, 2015 at 2:28:26 pm

Well, I appreciate your no-B.S. advice. As do many. So thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen McKenna
on Feb 26, 2015 at 11:30:06 pm

Hi Mark,

My name is Stephen McKenna and I am the Sales Manager for SNS, makers of SANmp. As Bob mentioned, in Bob's way ;) , we have some incredibly affordable solutions that offer Avid Bin/Project Sharing very similar to a Unity/Isis. Our servers also include unlimited licenses of SANmp and GlobalSAN. Feel free to give me a call @ 314-733-0551, or shoot me a message here on CCOW and we can link up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]