FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with our SAN setup - very unstable.

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Attieh
Issues with our SAN setup - very unstable.
on Sep 10, 2014 at 2:07:13 am

I have posted this on the MetaSAN forum as well as this one ...

We have had these setup for about 3 years and the problems seem to be growing (or we might have some bad habits).

We have 3 edit suites connected to a 32TB infortrend SAN drive configured to raid 6 (to about 26TB usable space).

We are using the Tiger MetaSAN controller for Edits 1 and 2 connected via a 4GB fibre channel. Edit 3 is connected via Ethernet via MetaLAN. The first edit suite we turn on in the morning is the controller for the system. We are currently editing on FCP7 for video editing, and also have Premier and Avid installed (though we've not use them on this system).

Edits 1 and 2 are identical:
OSX 10.8.5
2 x 2.4 Quad Core Intel Xeon
8GB Memory
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (standard with the machines)

Edit 3 is a much older machines (2008) and is really used to record voice overs more than anything else.

The SAN (A16F-G2430) has a 512MB Ram chip installed (which I am told is ample for what we need).

When Editing on Edits 1 and 2, the system is rather unstable. We experience random crashes when FCP just disappears and then gives us a crash report. Sometimes we get flashes of green or white in the preview and edit windows, and sometimes we get a half green and half normal picture in the windows. This usually precedes a crash where FCP shuts down.

When working on the projects, we also get 'Unable to Render', 'Out of Memory', etc messages that will not allow us to render or export projects without shutting down and rebooting the system.

We have found at the end of the day, if we turn off one of the non-controller machines, we can not save the FCP projects on the other machines. We have to rename the project files to save it.

Having done a bit of reading about these issues, we have regularly defrag out hard drives, updated MetaSAN software and keep our project files small. We also do not shut down any machines until all projects have been saved and everyone is ready to go home.

When we edit projects using our local hard drives, or a firewire drive connected to the computers, we do not experience any of these problems. Also, when we edit a project using Edit 3 via MetaLAN, we don't have these problems.

Some time ago, the company who we bought the system from in Sydney (Australia) helped us with troubleshooting and turned MetaSAN off. We were accessing the SAN using Fibre from only one machine, and we had the same problems.

I am starting to think the issue is with the Fibre connections from Edits 1 and 2, and am looking for ways to do away with Fibre and a SAN controller completely (as Tiger have just announced their support for MetaSAN is coming to an end).

We don't need to access the same footage or work on the same projects simultaneously from different edit suites. In our workflow, it would be great to have a projects folder on the SAN drive for any project that can be accessed from any edit suite. At present, we save the project files and media on our SAN and all render and auto save files go to the local hard drive and are deleted and archived as needed.

I have tried to provide as much info as I can, and am open to advice an thoughts on the best way forward.

Thanks so much.

Richard.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Issues with our SAN setup - very unstable.
on Sep 10, 2014 at 8:01:06 pm

I am glad that Bernard has answered your question in the MetaSAN forum. Tiger Technology support is excellent, and if you are willing to pay for support, they will take care of you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]