FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow advice needed

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Hale
Workflow advice needed
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:56:08 pm

Howdy,
I just took a job with a new organization and they are running all editing operations on a directly attached SAN at our studio location. It is lightning fast for the seven or eight machines that are directly attached. Our team also works out of another building that contains its own SAN with another seven or eight machines attached.

I have always worked in a NAS environment where files have always been available regardless of my location on the network.

We now have users copying projects and taking them over to the other location on hard drives or working on them online on some external disk. This creates a huge versioning issue with project being checked out and never knowing who has the most recent version of a project.

I am looking for any workflow or technology advice that may help solve this issue.

I think we will probably attach a NAS head to at least one of the SANs to allow for some cross campus access. I feel like there should be some MAM solution that will help you keep track of versions and check-in check-out of projects.

No advice is bad advice I would like to sort through it all so pleaseā€¦ HELP!

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
Re: Workflow advice needed
on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:02:04 am

Hey Luke,

Can you give a little more clarity on what you mean by SAN? What hardware/RAID and software are being used in the two locations? Is it Fibre channel based? Is there any type of fibre of Ethernet connectivity already existing between the buildings?

Best,

Nate Cooper
ProMAX

Return to posts index

Abrahim Rizk
on Sep 2, 2014 at 6:28:40 pm

Luke, Give me a Call I can help you.

Abrahim Rizk
Three Rivers Video, Inc
SAN / NLE Solutions

724-554-2010

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:38:39 am

So Abrahim -
are you really going to try to convince him to go with a Command Soft Fibre Jet system with Infortrend drive storage ? This is 2014 remember. You guys should pick up some new lines. I am sure that most of the people you see promoting themselves here on Creative Cow would be more than happy to make you a dealer, and you could offer more modern solutions to your customers - a little more current than what Rorke Data was pitching 10 years ago.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Abrahim Rizk
on Sep 3, 2014 at 10:39:32 am

Don't have any complaints from any of my High Profile clients so it must be working?

Abrahim Rizk
Three Rivers Video, Inc
SAN / NLE Solutions

724-554-2010

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2014 at 8:56:15 pm

Abrahim -
As you know, Creative Cow is the definitive place to see state of the art products. When you think about shared storage products today, you think about companies like these -

Studio Network Solutions
Edit Share
Facilis
Small Tree
ProMax
Maxx Digital
GB Labs
AVID
Tiger Technologies
Apace Systems
NetApp
Quantum StorNext
Nexsan
Dot Hill
Sonnet Technology
Accusys Exasan

These are the companies that people think about when they think about shared storage.
Your company has every opportunity to represent some of these product lines, and recommend
a modern shared storage environment, not an outdated product. It's my advice to you, that you contact
some of these companies, and think about promoting their products. Because if you ain't on Creative Cow, well, you just ain't in this business.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2014 at 8:57:14 pm

oops - LumaForge too ! (sorry Neil)

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:07:41 pm

Wow Bob, that list gets longer every year. There's even more but I'm not going to name them!

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 5, 2014 at 10:03:50 pm

I don't know anyone using Archion.
I think I mentioned Nexsan
I think that 1Beyond makes something.

Bob

Bob Zelin