FORUMS: list search recent posts

NetApp Video Production Server Info

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Loftus
NetApp Video Production Server Info
on May 21, 2014 at 3:29:49 pm

Howdy-
We are a small production dept (8 fiber connected workstations running Avid/Premiere/Final Cut/ProTools) looking to replace our aging Facilis Terrablock SAN (circa 2007). I am a big fan of the Terrablock and its ease of use, but our IT dept wants me to look at NetApp as a replacement due to their enterprise license/support.
I've poked around the netapp "Media and Entertainment Data Storage Solutions" webpage (http://www.netapp.com/us/solutions/industry/media-entertainment/production.aspx) and can't seem to find details on how their system works.
Can anyone provide info as to the user and administrator experience on a netapp video production server?
Thanks for any info.

Tom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: NetApp Video Production Server Info
on May 21, 2014 at 6:26:36 pm

Hi Tom,

Warning, I’m going into full on vendor mode here…

NetApp will absolutely fall on its face when you’re talking video performance. The Media & Entertainment deployments of NetApp are almost exclusively tier 2 (backup) or push pull solutions (copy data to your local drive, edit, copy data back); I’ve never seen any NetApp system successfully used for direct video editorial, but I’ve seen several failed attempts. The Facilis is great for the video performance and ease of use, which I’m sure is why you love it.

Vendor time – Do check out our product ProMAX Platform. It will give you the same performance and ease of use as a Facilis, but gets into other workflows (offloading renders, transcodes, etc.) the other big thing, especially for you, is that the feature sets allow it to play VERY well in traditional IT environments (AD integration, Replication, DFS, etc.)

We’ve deployed a lot of these in situations just like yours where the media department knew they needed a media specific product; but the IT department has a major say in what is deployed and supported. It plays well with both.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
David

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 22, 2014 at 2:41:06 am

Hi Tom -
this is a simple answer. Please show this to your IT department.
Your IT department is a bunch of idiots that have no clue as to how to provide a working shared storage environment for your facility.
They should be fired for their ignorant suggestion. As David has mentioned, Facilis is an EXCELLENT solution, and there is absolutely no reason not to UPGRADE your Facilis to provide you with whatever you want to continue with - be it 4K workflow, etc. via 10GbE or 16 Gig Fibre Channel. And for whatever reason you do not want to choose Facilis, you can certainly look at ProMax (as David suggests) or countless other solutions that you see clearly outlined on Creative Cow on a regular basis, and who are regular advertisers right here in these banner ads on Creative Cow. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON - NOT NET APP.

Go into that IT deparment - say to them "hey guys - do you know who AVID is - do you know what an AVID ISIS is ? Do you know what Facilis is, what EditShare is, what Small Tree is, what ProMax is, what Studio Network Solutions is, what Accusys is, what Maxx Digital is, what Tiger Technologies is ?". I know the answer - the answer is NO - WE NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THESE BRANDS. And This is the reason that they should be FIRED FROM THEIR JOBS.

End of story.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Kelly McCullen
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:19:47 pm

Tom,

Did you ever find the information you seek on NetAPP Media Content Management? Our team is facing an IT Dept that wants NetApp for our video editing and we can't find a single instance of where a company is using NetApp for the described purpose.....maybe Turner Sports but believe they're using NetApp for storage, like a video library but not sure.

Return to posts index

Tom Loftus
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:57:29 pm

Hi Kelly-

I did take a conference call with the NetApp sales rep and a tech and they were helpful, but when the specific questions of bandwidth and workflow came up they didn't really have good answers. Their take was that they could provide the storage, but they partner with Quantum would actually provide the management/user interface via XSAN (which I have heard can be difficult to manage)? During the call, the tech seemed to have concerns with the ability to deliver what we needed (I might have mis-interpreted the tone, but that is how it appeared to me).

NetApp was going to provide me a rough estimate/quote based on the requirements I had (x amount of users using x editing client accessing x amount of total storage), but that was about 3-4 weeks ago and I have not heard anything.

I also then took a call with Quantum, and they pitched their control & storage setup, but they pointed me towards flavorsys - another "partner" solution - when it came to project sharing. I'm also waiting for some more specific info regarding the Quantum proposal.

I personally really like the ease of use of Facilis. Both NetApp/Quantum and Quantum seem to have some interesting products, but at the end of the day I'm an editor and I need something that is easy to manage, and easy for our other editors to use.

Sorry for ramblin. Long story short, it doesn't appear to me that NetApp alone can deliver a turnkey video editing SAN storage/control system.

Good luck.

tom

Return to posts index

Kelly McCullen
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:10:09 pm

Thanks, Tom.

Return to posts index

Miguel Oliveira
on Jul 6, 2014 at 1:57:32 pm
Last Edited By Miguel Oliveira on Jul 6, 2014 at 2:32:03 pm

Hi all,

I have just came across this thread and I was wondering if there are any updates on this matter.
we are a 20+ seat post production facility running final cut 7 and ProTools 9, on the way to upgrade both editing tools (moving to Media Composer and to protools 11) and we were given a quote to purchase net app e5500 storage plus projectStore Pro from tiger technologies.
Reading this thread I must assume you guys would not recommend Net app at all. Am I correct? Could I trouble for some more advice on this matter?
Thanks

Miguel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]