FORUMS: list search recent posts

Guidance needed - expanding my kit and increasing data rates??

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Guidance needed - expanding my kit and increasing data rates??
on Mar 19, 2014 at 10:06:45 am

I have an edit suite that i'm planning to upgrade, but i also want to improve the data transfer rates for backups at the same time…but i am not sure what i need to looking for, and i'm hoping someone will be able to guide me in the right direction.

It seems networking has moved on somewhat since i installed this room 8 years ago.

Currently, I have two fibre channel raids (approx 35TB space with 12tb used) connected via a Fibre switch directly into my 2008 MacPro. Until recently, I was hosting Netvault Backup on the same Mac and backing up to LTO 5 Tape Library via SAS.

Due to Netvault being woefully behind the times at working on current Mac OS, i have switched to using Retrospect to do the backups.

And because we have also decided to use my system to backup the art depts machines 4 workstations and a Mac Mini Server with 6tb Promise Raid), it made sense to put the Backup on a Mac Mini Server. Being a thunderbolt Mac, it has required me to use an ATTO Thunderlink TB to SAS converter to connect the Tape Library.

Now that all my data and that of the art dept raid, is being transferred over gigabit ethernet, the backups are going much slower. On the Mac Pro, an engineer Bonded my two ethernet ports to help improve speeds, but the Mac Mini Server only has the one ethernet port. I considered adding a TB to Ethernet adapter but read somewhere that it was not recommended to bond these two ports.

Add in that i am hoping to swap the Mac Pro for a new all singing and dancing 2014 Mac Pro (with all its TB ports and very little else), and Smoke for Mac (when it finally gets qualified to run on the new mac) …Im starting to get very confused about the best way to connect everything so that i can work efficiently, without worrying that everything is getting bottlenecked.

Whats the most effective way for me to approach this?
I will be getting it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, but obviously i like to be prepared before calling anyone in, so i have a basic understanding of what is being suggest, and a rough idea if its going to be affordable!

thanks in advance
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]