FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 person shared storage? Products? Systems? Edit Share?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
2 person shared storage? Products? Systems? Edit Share?
on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:54:40 pm

As our needs have grown, so has the need for another editor to join me. In our ad agency, being a one man band, has been great and local storage and back up has been just fine. I'm currently using an eSata RAID 5 Mercury Elite external storage solution. Now with another coming on to help out, we both need to access the same material and work with redundent storage.

What is an inexpensive solution to do this? If we move to the new iMacs and look to move everything over to Thunderbolt, would one of the new Promise RAIDs using Thunderbolt 2 work with 2 people working on the drive and often accessing the same media?

If not, what would be a good solution for 2 users to accomplish this. Again, everything we have is local. Is there a solution we can move towards without having to spend tens of thousands of dollars on huge storage arrays and something like an EditShare?

Any help is appreciated and even pointing me in the right direction is fine. I actually enjoy the research. But I just don't know where to begin, since I don't have much post production IT experience. I know enough to get by with local storage. thx

OSX 10.7.5 with a 3.39 Ghz Intel Core i7 on a built up Hackintosh
16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
Re: 2 person shared storage? Products? Systems? Edit Share?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:12:50 am

Hey Matt,

Will you be at NAB? There will be some good solutions for you to look at there.

What you are describing is specifically what we (ProMAX) designed Platform Studio for. Small workgroups, under $10k (with storage, install etc.), video performance, easy interface, etc.

Check out details here http://www.promax.com/platform

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Good Luck!

Nate Cooper - ProMAX
nate.cooper@promax.com
(949) 861-2725

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:30:53 am

Nate/Bob, thanks for the replies. Nate this looks like idealy what we'd be looking for. But I can already see heads spinning at the expense. Its hard to get ad agency people to understand post production needs and expenses. When I came on board to ramp up our in-house game, it was a tough climb to get the KRKs and an FSI monitor, and was even tougher to get a better than average storage solution. Which we didn't get. My recommendation of a ProMaxx solution or even a G-Tech eS Pro with mini SAS, was overlooked to save money and go with the OWC Mercury Elite Pro running eSata. Its actually been ok for our needs and I haven't had any performance issues, but now with another workstation coming on board, we need expand. Are there any other solutions like this, but under 5K?

Is it possible to run 2 workstations off of something like your FastMax solutions? Or are systems like those and our Mecury Elite RAID 5 more for single workstation systems? I'm only running with 6TBs and using 1.5 currently. 8-12TBs would be ideal, but for what we do in-house, we don't need huge amounts of storage. Especially with switching to Premeire CS6, anything I throw at it just works. I only transcode on output for a ProRes master to file away. No more large file sizes and transcoding to ProRes like in FCP. So we save loads of storage right there.

Our work consists of pitch videos, brand videos, case studies and small client web based projects. The occasional broadcast spot is done by me, but that's just the offline edit anyway. We farm out the color and conform.

Nate, I might just reach out via your email to discuss some options. Thanks a ton fellas. I'll just keep fightin' the good fight!

16 GB of RAM with OSX on SSD, (2) internal HDDs RAID'd 1 for project files and External RAID 5 for all project assets (media, GFX, stills, etc.)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:50:11 am

Matt -
I have already answered your question. If you cannot get the budget for a dedicated computer to act as a computer, then just forget the whole thing. I can make this happen with the equipment that you already own in your company, IF you have a dedicated computer to act as a server (and this does not mean some old windows XP computer sitting in the corner). You have a Mac that we can use as a server, I can show you how to make this happen, for ZERO money. Is ZERO low cost enough, because if it's not, perhaps I can send your boss $100, and then we can do it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:10:55 pm

sorry bob, I misunderstood your first response. So you're referring to making my current set up work using the Mercury RAID 5, right? We actually have a few older machines lying around, I believe some 2010 MBPs that could work.

Will that one Mercury RAID have enough throughput for 2 workstations accessing it? Will it handle multiple streams of 1080 ProRes? Along with simultaneous renders and encoding? I know this isn't screaming fast, but it works for me, I'm just concerned about 2 workstations and throughput.

But I trust your expertise and will definitely get back to you if we can find a machine.

This is our RAID. But an slightly older model that does not have USB 3. eSata, (2) FW 800, (1) FW 400 & (1) USB 2. And i think its only 6 TBs.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/M3QX2T08.0E/

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:30:42 am

No problem Matt feel free to reach out. I can either help or connect you with someone that can.

As far as solutions in the $5k range, there are three basic options that I know of.

1) DIY (As bob recommends) - there are a lot of good articles on how to use the networking built into the Mac OS to get this running.
- Upside - Lowest cost
- Downside - You will likely spend a lot of your own time actually getting it to work (this is why bob has crazy grey hair, he's actually 27), limited expandability, limited performance, inconsistent throughput

2) Apple Networking set up by an Integrator - Depending on where you are, I can recommend few
- Upside - Likely right at the $5k range, a good integrator will get it running quickly and easily
- Downsides - Limited expandability, limited performance, inconsistent throughput

3) SANmp/Globalsan software (don't tell anyone I said this, they are my competitors ;)
- Upside - Likely right at the $5k range, a good integrator will get it running quickly and easily, easier to manage users/permissions than standard networking, consistent performance
- Downsides - Limited expandability, software is 'volume locking' meaning only 1 user can write to a volume at a time; for two users this workflow is generally totally fine

Feel free to reach out and good luck!

Nate Cooper - ProMAX
nate.cooper@promax.com
(949) 861-2725

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:14:12 am

If you are willing to give this a try on your Hackintosh, I would be willing to give it a try too. Just remember, we need a DEDICATED computer to be the server. This means that if we use your Hackintosh as the server, you won't be able to edit with this computer - it will become a dedicated server. I never did a Hackintosh, and I would be curious to see what happens.

Let me know.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:13:27 pm

Hi -
I guess free was not cheap enough, and I get my offer to pay Matt
$100 to let me build him the shared storage system was not high enough of an offer, so that his office can have shared storage.

Perhaps if I buy Matt's company the server computer, and buy them a proper RAID array, AND give him $200 bucks, maybe then he will let me build his shared storage system.

Maybe Nate at ProMax can buy Matt's boss a new car, and then maybe Matt's boss will allow ProMax to donate a shared storage system to his company.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:31:30 pm

Bob, your offer is perfect. I just need to wait until we're ready. I don't have anything set in stone yet. When the time comes, I can absolutely reach out to you for this. I'm simply in the info gathering stage. If we hire this guy, which it looks like we will, I'll reach back out.

Would you prefer an email?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:54:04 am

an email would be fine. If you have all the equipment you need (a Mac Pro in your office, and a drive array), then why not do it RIGHT NOW if it will cost you ZERO money ? If the cables to connect to your client computers are too expensive, I will send you the cables for free. I am sorry for being so belligerent to you, but I cannot understand if this is going to cost you ZERO, then why not do it right now ? This is why I offered you $100 to do it (I am trying to demonstrate to other companies like SNS, ProMax and Small Tree) that even if it is FREE, that companies like yours will not MOVE RIGHT NOW - so it's not even the money. I don't get it. Sorry for the rant.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:03:43 am

Thanks Bob. No worries. I've read many of your posts and rather enjoy the rants. I'm value your insight and trust you expertise. I couple things need to happen first. One, you mentioned we'll need a 2nd machine to act as the server, I'm looking into that and should know soon. Two, again, not 100% sure we're going to need this as I don't know if we're hiring this guy or not. If we do, believe me, you'll be the first to notify as we're getting busy and we need to keep working. Right now, as a one man band, working local is just fine.

I'm trying to be as proactive as I can with all this, so that if we do hire, we can get things set up before hand and keep them moving without a hitch.

I will be in touch via email. Thanks a ton for your time and knowledge. Please rant on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]