FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed platform SAN file path question

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Mixed platform SAN file path question
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:06:52 pm

I recently added a 20-core windows box as our finishing machine. Other than that computer we are a Mac shop. One thing I did not think about in setting this up was that Windows (STILL) uses drive letters as part of the volume path and Mac OS does not. So, when moving projects from one platform to the other, media goes offline (except for Avid) because the paths don't match. Does anyone know of a work-around for this issue?

Oh, and before you answer with "why didn't you just get a mac for the finishing room", well, because Apple's newest, fastest machine has HALF the processing power of the PC I put in. And no PCI slots. And no upgradable graphics. And, etc. That's why.

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: Mixed platform SAN file path question
on Mar 5, 2014 at 10:22:32 am
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:00:26 am

[Chris Tomberlin] "So, when moving projects from one platform to the other, media goes offline (except for Avid) because the paths don't match. Does anyone know of a work-around for this issue?"

Hello Chris,

In my impression the drive letter vs letter-less issue is fairly common for Avid in a mixed environment.

A similar issue is covered here, although not in a networked environment:
http://community.avid.com/forums/p/106107/615424.aspx

While I'm not sure if the OP got a fix, the late Larry Rubin was one of the top people for this stuff.. so I'd say try that first.

The short version is that it may be necessary to ditch the "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" databases, which will force the PC Avid reindex. Then again, as an Avid guy I suppose you knew that already :)

Hope that helps a little.

--
+447961751453
github.com/indiestor
indiestor.com - "Avid project sharing, shared!"

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:32:25 pm

Actually, Avid is the only software where this is NOT a problem because of how it does the media management. Stuff shows up linked whether the project is launched on the Mac or the PC.

The problem occurs with pretty much everything else. Any app that uses the file system and directory paths to identify file locations. So, all Adobe apps, Davinci Resolve, etc. Have to relink all the time.

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:28:02 pm
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:57:16 pm

Yes you're right. I'm pretty familiar with the inner workings, but misinterpreted the issue!

Which apps are you having problems with?

EDIT: I wonder if there is any milage in going down the 'add network location' route rather than mapping a drive? Bit of a long shot though.

Overall the chances are your app is bumping its head on an annoying difference between the two operating systems.

--
+447961751453
github.com/indiestor
indiestor.com - "Avid project sharing, shared!"

Return to posts index

Kendall Kaiser
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:21:50 pm

[alex gardiner] "going down the 'add network location' route rather than mapping a drive"

Making sure the volumes mount under the c:/volumes directory is the best bet, but how to do that varies depending on the SAN you're using.

If it mounts under c:/Volumes, every application sees the same file path:

/Volumes/Volume_Name/folder/file

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:29:33 pm

[Kendall Kaiser] "
If it mounts under c:/Volumes, every application sees the same file path:

/Volumes/Volume_Name/folder/file"

Which is great for every app EXCEPT AVID. This is because avid only sees media drives correctly (on Windows) if they are separate drive letters, as far as I can tell.

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]