FORUMS: list search recent posts

NSF Funny Business

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tate Jones
NSF Funny Business
on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:27:26 pm

Anyone know why this is happening or is it normal? Bob Zelin kindly enabled NFS mounts for our Maxx Digital ThunderRaid, however, when I mount the volume via NFS I'm seeing this strange behavior (see attached video)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1217585/NFS_Permissions_flipping.mp4

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: NSF Funny Business
on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:18:34 pm

I was getting performance drops via NFS vs AFP, so we actually decided that NFS either is still being worked on by Apple (which is why they didn't enable it by default) or they're just walking away from it with no real support moving forward. In either case, it wasn't something I wanted to build a workflow around.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:18:34 am

I have unfortunately been observing that NFS in OS X 10.9.1 has become terrible or non functional. Apple is not "getting rid of it", because it's part of the UNIX operating system (Darwin Kernel), but they are certainly doing bad things, that never used to exist in the past. It is beyond me why Apple would not publically discuss this, or get this working, as it is critical for ANY SHARED STORAGE SYSTEM to use NFS for FCP-X (except XSAN). Products like Small Tree Titanium and Studio Network Solutions EVO can activate NFS in their Linux operating system to get NFS to work properly, but it is bizarre to me that Apple is making this so difficult with their own hardware. If it were not for FCP-X, no one would really care about NFS - at least not in our industry.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:10:24 pm

PS -
I have not given up. I intend to work on this all weekend (NFS).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Tate Jones
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:18:31 pm

Wishing you the best of luck! It started making my head spin when I was trying to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Tate Jones
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:16:48 pm

Thanks John & Bob, you're remarks echo the thoughts that started forming in my head as I was doing more research on it. Unfortunately, (as you've said) it seems like NFS is an old file system format that Apple has no intention of revisiting or fixing the problems with it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:38:15 am

Hi Tate -
please understand that NFS is an integral part of the UNIX operating system, which is what is currently running on every Macintosh computer. OS X is called a "shell" to make UNIX look friendly to us users, but it's UNIX underneath. (just like the NEXT computer before OS X existed). So it's all there, it's just hidden by Apple. I have no idea why they do this. I am not promising anything (I am not that smart at this kind of stuff), but I see a lot of research on google, and hopefully, I will be able to compile something out of this, and get this to work properly. I understand your frustration. I am angered right now, from the lack of cooperation of Apple with EVERY MANUFACTURER on Creative Cow, and the huge delay that we are all facing with Thunderbolt 2 products. If Apple was a nice company, all the key companies (AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, ATTO, Areca, Highpoint, Sonnet, Magma, etc, etc.) would all have their thunderbolt 2 products out right now, but everyone is playing catch-up. It's very frustrating.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:30:26 am

Apple have a poor track record with this stuff. Look at companies like Thursby, they make a living off an apparent lack of interest.

Best of luck fixing the problem, however something tells me it'll be a dirty hack that you have to deploy each time the system is updated.

--
+447961751453
indiestor.com
github.com/indiestor

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2014 at 7:38:57 pm

Hi Tate -
I got NFS working again. I will contact you in a private email.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jan 18, 2014 at 8:57:07 pm

Bob any secrets you can share publicly here? I switched off NFS to SMB recently. Was working in 10.9 actually but 10.6 was randomly not mounting.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 19, 2014 at 12:10:04 am

Have you tried forcing smb1 (cifs)?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 19, 2014 at 2:41:58 pm

to my knowledge, FCP-X doesn't like CIFS - it likes NFS.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]