FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.1 Media Management

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Modica
FCP X 10.1 Media Management
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:45:39 am

They claim it can support media on remote volumes. Yippee! I'm installing now for testing.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: FCP X 10.1 Media Management
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:51:25 pm

Media, yes. Libraries, no (same as it was for Events and Projects in prior versions). You can only put Libraries on local HFS+ or on "SAN Locations" (which can be Xsan volumes or NFS mounts) as FCPX filters by filesystem type to reject anything other than those three. But it is very nice that you can now set an ingest destination anywhere (including AFP and SMB shares) that is independent of where the Library is stored.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:26:46 pm

It appears to be completely happy with NFS mounts. I didn't have to create any special directories (like Final Cut Events or Final Cut Projects) before it would save to it. I just think nfs locks have to be enabled. I'm about to try without them.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:29:04 pm

Yup.. nolocks = nohappy. Will not open stuff on NFS if locking is disabled. Operation not supported.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:48:12 pm

I assume you are in the loop on this?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/60147#60147

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:39:11 pm

working with John Davidson on shared storage mounting of FCP X 10.1.
We are STILL at the mercy of NFS (which is hidden by Apple in both the OS and OS X Server).
NFS works great, but SMB will NOT allow for libraries to be seen and mounted on shared storage.

While most modern shared storage systems are now supporting NFS, shouldn't Apple have an "official" way to do this, or simply support their own SMB2 protocol ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:57:38 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Richards on Dec 22, 2013 at 3:40:26 pm

[Bob Zelin] "While most modern shared storage systems are now supporting NFS, shouldn't Apple have an "official" way to do this, or simply support their own SMB2 protocol?"

They are filtering based on filesystem type, and I don't know if they just forgot to block NFS since it is obscured on OS X or if there is some structural difference between NFS and SMB (or AFP for that matter) that would explain why NFS is allowed but the others are not. I can't imagine why they would block the use of AFP or SMB if it weren't for some legitimate technical reason. The best I can come up with is that the Core Data SQLite data stores that FCPX uses have very strict byte-range locking requirements, like those described in Apple's developer docs. The puzzling thing is they mention AFP alongside NFS and HFS+ as being able to support Core Data SQLite stores. Perhaps they assume (correctly) that the typical AFP share on the typical network is not going to have the performance FCPX wants in order to work satisfactorily. Saving the users from themselves, so to speak.

There may be some key structural difference in how byte-locking works with NFS compared to AFP which explains the discrepancy. Perhaps Mr. Modica can shed some light on that; I don't know the nuts and bolts of these protocols like he does.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:11:28 pm

There's no obvious answer I can see by tracing FCP. It opens some files in /var/folders that look to be a mirror of other files on the system and it performs fcntl calls on them. However it never even tries to do this with AFP. They just stat the filesystem and give up.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]