FORUMS: list search recent posts

mavericks issues

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
mavericks issues
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:45:33 pm

oh boy.
first few minutes in testing. AFP has network speed issues between 10.8 and 10.9. SMB has file permissions issues. Nothing easy like AFP. I have not tried SMB2 to SMB2 (2 mavericks systems).

oh boy.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
Re: mavericks issues
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:55:14 am

Good to know Bob, just started looking at it here too.

In a quick test it hits 105MB/s (read and write) from netatalk 3.0.5 shares. So the client itself looks to be OK.

--
+447961751453
indiestor.com
github.com/indiestor

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:14:38 pm

in day 2 of testing, this is what we got.

1) ATTO R680 works in Mavericks
2) Areca ARC-1882x works in Mavericks (with a little tweaking)
3) drive arrays in general work
4) the 10gig cards work in Mavericks
5) 1GbE is still about 100 - 110 MB/sec over AFP in Mavericks.
6) with 10GbE, and Mavericks, there is a DRAMATIC SPEED INCREASE - it is inconsistent, but we see about 600 MB/sec read time - this is 200 MB/sec faster than with OS X 10.8.5
7) SMB2 is NOT faster than Apple AFP in OS X 10.9. We peak out at about 400 - 410 MB/sec READ speed with 10gig Ethernet. This is dramatically faster than before with the useless Apple SMB from Lion/Mountain Lion, but still not as fast as AFP.
8) there are permissions problems when you use SMB2 that are not present when you work with AFP. I am working on that right now.

So all this stuff is STARTING to come together. I am working as fast as I can, with my limited resources to do this (I'm not that smart) - but I believe that we will have a working shared storage system with OS X Mavericks, without issues. At this moment, there is no question that AFP is STILL much faster than SMB2 - I sure hope that Apple doesn't obsolete AFP in the future, but you can never predict.

As far as NFS is concerned, as I have been discussing on the FCP-X forum, NFS is no longer working, using the Bresink NFS Manager. John Heagy of NFL Films says he has NFS working, and I am hoping that he is willing to share how he got it to work in Mavericks.

I will keep you informed as the days pass.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:56:42 pm

Thanks Bob,

So for now, 10.9 is a no-no if you run either NFS or SMB2 or both?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:51:08 pm

I have been booked, so I have not had a chance to do more testing.
But for the limited testing that I did - it appears that while SMB2 works, it is slower than AFP, and when you have a network setup, it appears that SMB2 has permissions issues, so that when you create a folder on your shared volume from "edit1" and "edit2" tries to access this folder, they cannot, because of permissions issues that SMB2 is creating. Sure, you can manually run a "chmod" command on the server to open the permissions, but no non technical user is going to want to do that - so there must be a way to have "open permissions", for this to be successful. I tried creating a group with 2 users (edit1, and edit2) and assigning the group to the share point, but still got the permissions issues. But use AFP - no problem at all.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Oct 26, 2013 at 7:09:11 pm

Thanks Bob,

From what I hear:
- certain codecs in QuickTime are broken and this is a huge problem for some
- NFS is working for most people. "NFS here with no apparent issues. Speed and stability are both fine. However, we're not using NFS Manager or automount but /etc/fstab instead" (this comes from the CIO of South Park Studios - I hope they forgive me for the attribution)
- "Adobe CS 5.5 MS, Nuke, and Autodesk Maya 20[12-14] all seem fine with no obvious glitches in a generic CGI production workflow under 10.9" (this is again from South Park)
- SMB2 can be quite problematic
- SMB2: "using CIFS:// rather than SMB:// for mounts (which forces SMB 1)" works for some as a workaround
- SMB2: fails with Synology
- Smoke: possible problems, one incident of "Had to back out of Mavericks as Smoke didn't like too much"

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Chris Duffy
on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:53:19 pm

Hey Bob,

Duffy here :) your bud!

It would be nice if you could tell us some background on your
testing, i.e.
did you use Mac-to-Mac, both Mavericks, over 10Gbe?
what tool did you use on the client? Adobe, Avid
or Black Magic Disk Speed test or AJA or ?

Certainly I have seen that Apple has boosted smb2 and afp
performance on Mavericks but.........

I did some tests a while back with Mavericks, Mac-to-Mac,
using Black Magic's tool and it was impressive, i.e.
smb2 was 630MBytes/sec write, almost 800MBytes/sec read
while afp was 930MBytes/sec write and 1.06Gbytes/sec read
using our 10Gbe cards but I am not sure if this is a
valid test since the tool limits the size of the files
it uses......filesystem caching is involved and so forth.

So let us know what tools you used :)

Thx
chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2013 at 1:23:21 am

I have been busy doing XOS Digital in Orlando, so I had to stop testing, but I will get back to it.

Mac Pro to Mac Pro, using ATTO NT series cards. AJA System Test.
Drive array was Maxx Digital with ARC-1882x (about 1500MB/sec), but speed tests were done over Cat6 cable via two ATTO NT series cards.

I need to do a LOT more testing, but these were initial tests, and then I had to go make a living !!!! I will continue soon.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Duffy
on Nov 1, 2013 at 2:01:22 am

Thx Bob.

I was using an 8 drive raid...pretty small.
I imagine you were using a 12 or 16 drive ATTO raid, huh?

I re-ran the read/write tests using AJA like you did.
Using Small Tree 10Gbe cards I was seeing:

AFP write 820MBytes/sec write and 1.07Gbyte reads,
Samba2 showed writes 613MBytes/sec and 830MBytes/sec read.

Looks like you need to tune those ATTO 10Gbe cards a little more
Bob :) they are a lot slower then our 10Gbe cards....
but you already knew this :)

Later,
chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 3, 2013 at 7:15:11 pm

those are incredible speeds ! Perhaps it's because you are using a Linux server, and I am using a Mac Pro as the server.

I did more testing.

So NFS is in fact working with Mavericks (probably my stupidity).

There is no question that SMB is SLOWER than AFP - and native SMB2
on OS X Mavericks has permissions problems, which Apple themselves describes in knowledge base article TS4149, which can only be resolved by running the AclsEnabled command in terminal - which works fine, but will be torture for those that are unaware of this (like me), who wind up saying "this crap ain't working !". I don't know why Apple did this, but at least they post a fix for it.

Apple got NIC bonding working again in OS X 10.8.5 (it did not work in OS X 10.8.4), and in fact I just verified that OS X 10.9 server supports NIC bonding (thank goodness !).

OS X 10.9 server is much more responsive than OS X 10.8 Server - you don't have to sit there waiting for the little wheel to spin around for 2 minutes every time you make a change (like turning on file sharing, or adding a new user). So this has been resolved.

There is also a nice tutorial section in the help menu, so you don't have to google for hours on how to figure out how to do a lot of stuff.

So all in all, I have no complaints. On a personal note, a lot of the Canon camera utilities are NOT working in OS X 10.9, and Canon states that there is currently no support for 10.9. I am sure that there are other image browsers that work, but currently Canon's do not.

AND, Thursby DAVE is not currently working with OS X 10.9, but since SMB2 does work (in my meager initial tests, with the Apple ACL's fix in terminal), I guess you don't really have to use DAVE anymore - sad, it's a great program, with great support from Thursby.

In summary - just like any other big update, from any other manufacturer, I do my share of whining and complaining ("why doesn't this work anymore") - but in the end, Mavericks and OS X Server under Mavericks looks pretty damn good, and pretty solid - AND DIRT CHEAP to implement.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Duffy
on Nov 3, 2013 at 8:05:07 pm

:) Bob, in my tests I detailed I was also using a Mac OS (Mavericks) server....
I did mention this fact but we are both hard of reading, right? lol
Better switch over to using Small Tree 10Gbe cards :)

Duffy

Return to posts index

WeiYu Chen
on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:45:51 am

Thanks for the detailed info. It helps.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Dec 9, 2013 at 6:29:09 pm

Whats the ACL fix Bob ?

In testing here 1 iMac (10.9) over 1Gig to a iMac running 10.8.5 with a 6 bay Pegasus stills seeing 105 Write 80/90 Read with other on the networks over AFP.

SMB2 70 R/W

SMB 80 R/W

Anyone running the Solarflare 10Gig nics?

Cheers

S

Return to posts index

George Staffod
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:05:56 pm

I'm baffled??????

I'm trying to setup Mavericks Sever (3.0.2) to share files between a group that contains Macs and PCs. The rub is I'm running into what appears to be a very common problem when using SMB. Even tho I've created a Group with Read/Write permissions and assigned everyone to that Group the files that are created by one user are not accessible by one of the other users in the Group. I've run the terminal command for the ACL fix and it has not resolved this issue.

I've tested this 9 ways to Sunday and nothing seems to work. I see that Bob had this same issue and I was wondering about an update on how this is working for him now and if the terminal fix did in fact resolve this issue for him.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]