FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring TAR files

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Carlson
Restoring TAR files
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:15:51 am

Is there a way, other than through Tolis Tape Tools, to restore an LTO 5 tape in TAR format. I'd be happy to purchase the Tolis Group program, if that is the only solution. Just need to read the data and get it onto a Mac OS X drive.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Tom Carlson

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Restoring TAR files
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:29:25 am

Don't have the answer, just a question... :)

"tar" seems to be part of Max OSX CLI (Command language interface), and there are some offsprings with GUI not requiring UNIX CLI knowledge. Have you looked at one of those? (Just curious.)

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:54:21 am

tar has been around in UNIX since 1979. Though implementations are a little bit different (different options/features) across some platforms, the actual format of the file is a POSIX standard. You should be able to use the commands already installed on OS X (or any other UNIX flavor (*BSD, Linux, etc) to access the data.

The TOLIS website even says they use the tools included with OS X to read the files.

Depending on the drive you have and how it's all set up, you may also want to look at the other command line tools:
mt, mtio, rmt

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:37:30 am

Hi Tom, it's Bob !
so you bought an ATTO card, you bought a HP Ultrium LTO drive, and you don't have $499 to restore a BRU tape ? You know, you could download the free trial version to do this ? Since your client bought an LTO and an ATTO card - please tell me WHAT SOFTWARE do they currently own for their LTO drive ? Are they using the free HP LTO software for LTFS ? Just curious ....................

these days, everything is too expensive, unless it's free or they pay you to take it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Tom Carlson
on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:44:11 am

Hi Bob,

Actually I did buy Tolis Tape Tools today and it works fine. I was just trying to see if there was a way of restoring the TAR files without shelling out more money. I've got Retrospect on my main system, and that was grabbing the LTO-5 drive and not allowing TTT to see it, so I just installed the Tools on another boot drive that I have on that computer that is "clean." After fussing around with it a bit and with the help of the great support staff at Tolis (thanks, Mike!) I got it working and restored the LTO perfectly. MD5 files match and we're good to go!

Now, if I can figure out how to restore some old tapes that were backed up with Mezzo! Arghhhh! You don't have a copy you'd like to sell, do you, Bob?

Tom

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:59:45 pm

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, it's not tar and OS X, it's OS X's deliberate removal of native tape support that has you stumped. This is exactly why we created TOLIS Tape Tools. They provide the missing layer between your tar tapes and getting the data only an OS X system, which, BTW, is quite complex.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]