FORUMS: list search recent posts

Home Brew NAS...

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Quibell
Home Brew NAS...
on Aug 22, 2013 at 8:58:53 pm

I purchased an iMac with a 500g drive with the hopes of the thunderbolt drives to come down in price, HA!... After buying my 5th USB drive, I decided to go and build my own NAS instead of purchasing single drives. My build is decent sever quality parts, a Raid2Z 10.7Tb of space. I started with FreeNAS, and was hoping it would be easy to set-up, but I keep running into little road blocks. Like setting up an AFP, and CIFS share; so then I research and set it up, then another road block, so more research, and fix it again, etc... I am getting pretty frustrated with the software and the consent tinkering.

What success have you had making a custom NAS? Did you use FreeNAS, OMV, Nas4free? Did you successfully off load Aperture, FCP-X, iTunes, and other stuff to the NAS? Did it change your work flow?

Share your story!

Pain is Temporary - Pride is Forever!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Home Brew NAS...
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:06:13 pm

William writes -
Share your story!

REPLY -
ok.
In 2008, I was just like you, I was going to build my own system.
And just like you, I ran into all kinds of problems. And I suffered thru these problems, and I eventually figured out what to do. I got so good at it, that I now make my living doing it. And other guys on this forum, like Chris Murphy, Alex Gerulatis, Eric Hansen, and Eric Bowen, have suffered thru this (just like you are), and now make their living doing this as well. And they are all good. And guess what - if you keep WORKING AT IT, and suffering thru all the problems you will become good at it, and can probably do the same, as we are. But I don't think that anyone on this forum is going to say "ok, this is exactly what you have to do so that you can do this for free, and I get to make zero money, but hey, I give my years of knowledge and suffering to you for free, because you are a nice guy".

Of course, you can contact one of us privately, or you can use one of the many wonderful companies that you see here participating on this forum (because they are all good). Or you can continue to suffer thru your experiments, and I bet within a few months, you will probably figure it out, and say AH HA - I GOT IT !!!!. But I don't think that anyone is going to give you a step by step "here is how to do it without having to buy anything or hire us".

I am sure you are a smart guy. If you keep at it, you can figure it out. It's not rocket science. But what you will find is that there is constant software and driver changes, and there is constant "tinkering". This is unfortunately how I spend most of my time, trying to figure out what used to work perfectly, no longer works. And for this, I charge people.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

William Quibell
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:36:45 am

** I didn't see the NAS thread already created... If an admin could move the conversation to the NAS section.....*

Thank you for the candid response! I guess it is what I should have expected. What it comes down to right now for me is the selection of software. I was hoping someone would at least say... FreeNAS is good, but when I switch to OMV, it was so much better to work on.... Or better yet, Maybe I should learn the world of VM-Ware... lol

Pain is Temporary - Pride is Forever!

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Aug 24, 2013 at 6:19:08 pm

Hey William

As you can see by the lack of responses thus far, the members of this board probably won't share the info you're looking for. Unlike the other forums on Creative Cow, the SAN Networks forum is mostly populated by individuals and companies selling products or services in this space. Most of my clients just want a solution right now and don't want to tinker. The ones that do want to tinker to save money, realize pretty quickly that they don't have the time they thought they did. You might find the information you're looking for at other, more server-centric forums on the web.

I can tell you that many of the NAS boxes that the big guys sell do use some of the software products you mention. But they are highly customized and money is spent on R&D and support to make these boxes perform reliably at their peak. It takes a decent amount of work to make these boxes "plug and play". So they won't be very willing to share those settings.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 24, 2013 at 9:28:00 pm

If you're really interested in computer hardware, operating systems, software, networking integration, file systems, etc., i.e. the classic definition of an amateur (you're really serious about it because you're willing to do it in limited free time vs other pursuits), then go for it. If you're frustrated with tinkering to make things work, either suck it up (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger) or decide this isn't the hobby for you.

As for the listed options, all are workable for home NAS, and so is NexentaStor Community. I'd vote up the strength of documentation and community support before all other options. When something goes wrong, you'll need help, not just want it. Next, I'd look at which ones best support the hardware you have. And then next consider features, and tops on that list is ease of backup and restore. Scheduled backups, and solid restores will allow all sorts of mayhem and still let you get back on track without data loss (or maybe minimal data loss). Basically with a home unit you really don't need much availablity. The thing can be unavailable for a few days while doing a restore. What you don't want is for your limited free time to be sucked up troubleshooting the restore process for three days.

RE: ZFS vs ext4 vs XFS, differences don't really matter in this usage category. Two more relevant questions I have, that I haven't spent the time to learn yet with the listed NAS packages, is whether any of them correctly set drive SCT ERC and device driver timeouts to be compatible with each other; and if they disable drive write-back caching.

Last, don't forget the first word in NAS. Network. Just pretend I'm writing two more paragraphs on issues/concerns surrounding networking. DAS can be tedious and inelegant with a ton of files that exceed one disk capacity. But it's straightforward, you probably already know most of what you need to know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]