FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ethernet SAN solution

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Schrodt
Ethernet SAN solution
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:48:58 pm

I'm researching gigabit ethernet SAN solution for our small shop with two full-time editors and one part-time. We use Macs with CS6 (CC very soon) and Resolve, AVCHD & ProRes4444 are our primary codecs with a little Canon 7D every once in a while. We don't pull more then 2 streams per suite at a time on a regular day. We will also be upgrading to the new MacPro's when they are released. I've talked with Coraid, Small Tree, & Pro Max and all seem like very good options. I was hoping to get some user feedback and pros/cons of each company/system. Any other companies I should check out? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Trevor

MacPro 6 core - 10.8.4 24GB RAM
MacPro 4 core - 10.8.4 16GB RAM
MacPro 2 core - 10.6.8 9GB RAM

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Ethernet SAN solution
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:01:42 pm

Hi Trevor,

Could you elaborate on that Resolve codec? I think Resolve works with a number of codecs but likes to work with raw still frame ones like DPX and CinemaDNG? That might be taxing for most shared storage solutions.

Return to posts index

Trevor Schrodt
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:06:27 pm

Sorry, that comma was supposed to be a period. We use Uncompressed QT in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:18:46 pm

[Trevor Schrodt] "We use Uncompressed QT in Resolve."

If I am not mistaken, Resolve only works with one stream at a time? So we're looking at one uncompressed QT stream per user, or two of any of the other ones, correct?

What's the bitrate and resolution of the uncompressed QT stream?

Return to posts index

Trevor Schrodt
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:33:46 pm

around 1355 mbits/s & 1920x1080p

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:53:47 pm

Thank you - that more or less defines the requirements. All the companies you mentioned are great choices.

SNS Evo is another possibility and so is GB Labs Space.

Anyone I am forgetting?

A client of mine in Los Angeles runs a 10GbE NAS from COTS components using xServe (for the NAS OS part of it), ProAvio DAS, NetGear 10GbE switch and Small-Tree 10GbE cards. Is this something you might be interested in hearing about, or would you prefer to have a single supplier solution?

Return to posts index

Trevor Schrodt
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:58:00 pm

We're looking for a single supplier solution. Thank you for the help & I'll give those companies a call.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:31:39 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/197/859515

if you read through this thread, you will see the companies (including the ones that I missed) that make excellent shared storage systems.

Bob Zelin

OK, this is the NAB2013 list of people that know what they are doing (and I am sure I am missing a few companies) -

Accusys Exasan (Infiniband solution)
Apace Systems (1gig and 10gig solutions)
Apple XSAN using Promise VTrak drives (Fibre SAN solution)
AVID ISIS 5000 (1gig and 10gig solutions)
Cal Digit SuperShare (Infiniband solution that requires XSAN,
MetaSan or Command Soft Fibre Jet)
EditShare (1gig and 10gig solutions)
Facilis Terrablock SAN (1gig and 10gig solution, and Fibre Channel)
GB Labs Space
Maxx Digital Final Share (1gig and 10gig solutions - NAS)
ProMax Platform (1gig and 10gig solutions - NAS)
Rorke Data (using Command Soft Fibre Jet - Fibre Channel SAN)
Small Tree Titanium (1gig and 10gig solutions - NAS)
Studio Network Solutions EVO 5 (Fibre SAN, 1gig and 10gig iSCSI)
Tiger Technology MetaSAN (software only SAN)
Tiger Technology MetaLAN (NAS software)
Tiger Technology Tbox (Fibre, 1gig, 10Gig solutions)

Nearline storage solutions -
Drobo
QNAP
Synology
Tolis Group Argest

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:55:12 pm

Hi Trevor,

Just wanted to see if your research and evaluation zeroed in on a solution that works for you. If so, would love to hear what it was.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:32:12 pm

ps - Coraid is not on that list. It will not do what you want.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Schrodt
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:05:48 pm

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Eric Newbauer
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:40:51 pm

Alex/Bob, thanks as always for the mentions!

Trevor, in addition to our EVO storage system (now also available in an 8 bay, which might be perfect for you), if you already have some direct-attach RAID storage you could try our software-based solution, which turns your existing RAID and a Mac into an Ethernet/iSCSI SAN. I'm suggesting this because you can try it all for free just by downloading it to see if it meets your needs.

Here is the software that turns your Mac into a SAN server (Xtarget):
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/globalsan-xtarget/

And here is the software you use to share the SAN storage (iSANmp):
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/sanmp/

Eric Newbauer
Studio Network Solutions (SNS)
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:57:15 pm

Running a centralized SAN server with a 10GBE network connection would be the cheapest solution long term. You would also only require the single or dual port 10GBE connection to a switch versus running network based units that will eat ports as you as you add. Just look for a SAS storage unit that allows you to SAS expand ie chain off 1 raid controller.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:09:01 am

[Bob Zelin] "ps - Coraid is not on that list. It will not do what you want. "

Why do you say that Bob?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:10:20 pm

http://www.coraid.com/solutions/business_solutions/video_production

Coraid is an enterprise solution, no different than EMC or other companies that have no interest in our specific business. Every IT company is trying to grab any possible way of getting into every market (security storage, insurance, banking, etc.). Our business is very specific, with very specific demands, and needs both sales and technical staff that is VERY familiar with the product lines that you see featured on Creative Cow. This is like saying that you are going to use http://www.spiceworks.com as a resource for video shared storage enviornments. IT deparments, as they feel more and more pressured to take over video enviornments and applications do not have the background to participate in our business. It does not mean that they can't learn, they just don't know how to currently do it, and their sales staff is trying to expand into every market possible so they can generate as much revenue as possible, any way possible.

Anyone that participates in these forums is interested in the video, film, graphics, and audio market, and possibly digital distribution and delivery, as well as transcoding and asset management. A company that is involved with accounting data, VOIP Telecom, etc. should not be part of "the list" of who is qualified to handle what WE do for a living. If they are interested, they will participate on forums like these, advertise in OUR professional publications, show up to OUR trade shows, and show specific solutions to OUR applications.

There are plenty of companies that are specific to our business, of which I have listed on this thread. Generic IT companies that have generic solutions should not be in a "recommended vendor" list.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:30:45 pm

Trevor,

I recently upgraded to 10GE from 1GE. If you are interested, I'm selling my Edgecore 24 port 1GE Switch.

My system was installed by Mr. Zelin. It all just works.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]