FORUMS: list search recent posts

boy, Premiere has lots of rules (for network storage)

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
boy, Premiere has lots of rules (for network storage)
on Jun 24, 2013 at 12:38:07 pm

well, now that we are finally getting into full-on widespread Adobe Premiere at facilities, I realize how ignorant I have been about Adobe Premiere "best practices". Especially in a networked environment.

CUDA is a must (even on an isolated workstation). Lots of RAM. Lots of cores. And I am seeing conflicting answers on where the media cache is supposed to be - either on a separate local drive (which seems to be the preferred method, especially if it's an SSD drive) or living with the media on the networked volume.

I am continuing to research "best practices" for Premiere on a SAN or NAS.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: boy, Premiere has lots of rules (for network storage)
on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:07:09 pm

[Bob Zelin] "CUDA is a must (even on an isolated workstation). Lots of RAM. Lots of cores. "

CUDA was a must for CS5 and to a lesser extent CS6, but PPro's support for OpenCL in CC has broadened considerably. They're committed to supporting their effects stack with OpenCL, and have said they will continue to officially qualify more and more OpenCL GPUs for Mercury Engine. Better still, if your GPU isn't on the list, PPro CC lets you enable it anyway if it has 1GB of VRAM. Contorting yourself to get an NVIDIA CUDA GPU for PPro is no longer a problem on CC.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Eric Newbauer
on Jun 27, 2013 at 8:18:28 pm

I'd suggest adding "Use NTP" to the list. Something we've found in NAS configurations is that Premiere can act unpredictably if all machines (workstations and any storage servers) aren't perfectly time-synced.

Eric Newbauer
Studio Network Solutions
http://www.studionetworksolutions.com

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Jun 28, 2013 at 4:29:03 am

I'm glad I was one of the people who nudged you in that direction :) We've been running PPro in a networked environment for half a year but are now doing a full deployment "for real", over metaSAN. Media Cache files is one of the major topics I want to tackle, I'm preparing some write-ups.

The recommendation I know for now from Adobe as well as Walter is, keep your media cache *DB* local and the Media Cache on your fastest drive, which is usually your SAN/NAS volume.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:43:58 pm

i second the "network time server" suggestion. personally, i don't keep the Media Cache files on the SAN next to the media, even though that's the recommendation. i don't like how Pr spits files all over my nice organized footage. I'm usually writing LTO tapes from the same SAN location, so i have to delete all those temp files before writing LTOs, which is a pain.

with CUDA, we have to turn it off on all edit systems. when it's on, we don't get real-time playback through Kona or BMD cards. turn it off and playback is fine. i'm hoping this is fixed in CC. if not using a Kona, BMD or similar card, playback is fine with CUDA on.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]