FORUMS: list search recent posts

CalDigit HDPro won't mount after drive replacement

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Ferguson
CalDigit HDPro won't mount after drive replacement
on May 27, 2013 at 2:41:54 pm

Hi, I have an aging HDPro (2008). It has been on and running flawless since I installed it. I only had one drive fail (under warrantee) and it was a painless rebuild. Now I have had 2 more drives fail in the past month. Considering the age of the drives, I decided to replace them. I called CalDigit, and they recommended new Hitachi DeskStar 2TB drives (since I was out of warrantee). I replaced all 8 drives with new 2TB DeskStars I purchased. I used Raid Shield to create and build my raid 5. It took over 5 hours. After the build I got a message that "the drive inserted was not readable" and asked me to initialize. I did not. I tried o re-boot, No luck, same message. I tried to disconnect the cable while the drive was on, and re-boot - No luck. I can see the drive in Disk Utility but it does not see the raid like it once did, I also have no options. I started Disk Warrior and it does not see the drive.
I am looking for some help getting my drive back online with the new drives installed. Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I miss a step in building a new raid? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: CalDigit HDPro won't mount after drive replacement
on May 27, 2013 at 5:39:45 pm

This is all correct.

RAID Shield creates a RAID set that the OS can see. But the OS needs to format it into a Volume (or set of Partitions) that can be used. When you're in Disk Utility, look at your boot drive. You will see a drive on the left. something like "1TB Hitachi xxxxx-xxxx Media". then indented from that you will see "Macintosh HD". The "Macintosh HD" is the volume on the drive. you need to create a Volume for your RAID set.

When Disk Utility says you must Initialize, do that. If you already have Disk Utility open, click on the CalDigit RAID (or whatever it's called) and click the "Erase" tab.

Name the volume what you like in the "Erase" tab. And then you're done.

btw, this should all be in the CalDigit RAID Shield manual.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Gregg Ferguson
Re: CalDigit HDPro won't mount after drive replacement
on May 28, 2013 at 12:59:29 am

Eric,

Thank you for your help. Just forgot the last step. It's working now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]