FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAN Array Emergency

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Kurz
SAN Array Emergency
on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59:53 am

Hi,
I've got a little bit of an emergency and I was wondering whether anyone could help me. We've set up a NAS system here with a Jupiter Array as the main storage connected via miniSAS to an ATTO raid controller in a MacPro running OSX server on it. Last night the array went down and I haven't been able to get it back up. There's a lot of information I can give but I'm not sure what is the most useful for troubleshooting.

If anyone knows someone who might be good at trouble shooting / fixing a NAS systems please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

-Josh Kurz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SAN Array Emergency
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:45:12 pm

Hi Josh -
thanks for contacting me. You have an ATTO R680 card with an Other World Computing Jupiter drive array with Toshiba 2TB SATA drives. Because you had no monitor on your system, you were not aware that you lost TWO drives (slot 4 and slot 11) in your RAID 5 array.

When we rebuild your array, we will make it RAID 6, and I will configure your ATTO R680 card correctly, so you get the correct speeds. However, I must urge you that you MUST have a monitor on your system so you can tell if a drive has failed on your array. Because you lost 2 drives in a RAID 5 configuration, that is why you have lost everything. When you see a drive as failed, you must replace it, or you wind up with the situation that you are in now.

Make sure to contact me when you get the replacement drives, and I will reconfigure your system properly. I have never used Toshiba drives before, so I am not aware of their reliability.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: SAN Array Emergency
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:09:16 pm

Bob
How do you see alerts on the R680? The only way I see is either checking console all the time for alerts or checking the ATTO app. Do you just have the atto app up all the time ?

Speeds on ours seem fine (1200MBs ) at default. What do you tweak ?

s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]