FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid indexing on each launch.

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Avid indexing on each launch.
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:15:56 pm

We have a Terrablock with multiple Avid Media Composer and Symphony systems attached. Each time I launch an Avid project, it has to index the volume on the Terrablock. Is this indicative of a problem?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: Avid indexing on each launch.
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59:14 pm

Hi Scott,

That indicates to me that there's a mod date change in/on the host-named MXF folder. If the folder date is newer than the date of the databases, Avid thinks there's indexing to be done. This could also be a problem of an improper exit of the application after writing, where Avid isn't allowed to clean up the database. Next time you exit Avid, check the mod time/date on the pmr and mdb files, and compare to the upper level folder mod time/date. If the folder date is newer, you'll likely get an index.

This can also happen if another Avid is deleting media from your subdirectory. This is why we recommend project-based volumes when possible, to limit the amount of housekeeping that can impact your databases.

Since you're in emulation mode (I hope), you can rename that directory to anything you want and still have access to the media (i.e. from hostname.1 to hostnamexx.1). Only the databases in the folder that has your specific Avid's host name will be rebuilt. When you write media again to that volume, the Avid will generate a new folder. This is all Unity/Isis functionality as well, not specific to Facilis.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:29:35 pm

Thanks, James. Renaming the Folders did the trick.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Aren Hansen
on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31:54 pm

Hi,
We have a terrablock as well. Every time my AVID crashes, which unfortunately is twice a day, my AVID has to index one of the terrablock volumes. It takes about 15 min. From talking to some of the other editors, they have the same experience.
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks,
Aren

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]