FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up Shared Video Storage for Shoestring Documentary

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Garrett
Setting up Shared Video Storage for Shoestring Documentary
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:15:22 pm

Hi -

We are editing a documentary on a very tight budget and are in need of a Shared Video Storage solution that can accommodate 2-3 MacPro FCP stations editing Apple ProRes 1920x1080 with a good amount of Multiclips. Right now we have one editor in Los Angeles and one editor in New York. Each edit station has 4 - 12 TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro's hooked up by E-Sata with exact copies of the footage and we've been basically just emailing FCP Projects back and forth. The editor in Los Angeles is about to come to New York for a month to work out of the New York office. We wanted to set up some sort of ethernet network so that the two editors in New York can share the same set of drives. The two FCP stations are i7's. I've been reading Bob Zellin's and other's posts about Ethernet SAN's and while this seems like a good way to go, it also seems like there are a lot of variables and contingencies to consider. I was hoping someone might be able to help give an updated step by step workflow for setting up a SAN network for this type of system. I want to know it will work and get an idea of how much this might cost. I've never set up any type of network so I really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
Re: Setting up Shared Video Storage for Shoestring Documentary
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:01:53 pm

Hey Ryan,

As many will probably echo, what you don't want to do is roll your own. Unless you have experience in setting up and supporting network storage for video, trying to do it on your own (albeit tempting) will cost you more in wasted time than it's worth. Look into the various purpose built options on the market and stick with those.

I work for ProMAX and there are three solutions we sell and support
- ProMAX Platform
- Facilis Terrablock
- Avid ISIS

All of products these have their place and there are serveral other options on the market that you can look at as well.

If you don't want to go down the road of a supported solution you are likely better off sticking with locally attached storage.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions on this.

Nate Cooper
ProMAX Systems http://www.promax.com
nate.cooper@promax.com

Return to posts index

Adi Antariksa
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06:50 pm

Hi Ryan,

You may want check out Midi Space by GB Labs - http://www.gblabs.com - a stand alone desktop shared storage solutions that fit well for your current requirement. You can direct connect up to 4 editors or more by adding Gb-e switch.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further your requirements or to find out more of Midi Space.

Cheers,
Adi Antariksa
GB Labs USA
E-Mail : adi@gblabs.com
Phone : +1 661 513 3089

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:31:54 pm

Hi -
Nate is correct. You don't want to try to build this yourself. You want to work with a company that knows how to do this.

I provide the Maxx Digital Final Share solution, but you can get similar excellent solutions like the ProMax Platform, GB Space, Facilis Terrablock, AVID ISIS, EditShare, Small Tree Granite Stor, and so many others. There are dealers right in NY that can sell you systems and set them up for you.

What cannot happen is that you can't build this yourself. Find a brand that you like, and that meets your budget, and work with that company. ProMax, GB Labs, and myself have already responded, and I am sure that others will respond to. Call these companies, ask for pricing, and specs, and let someone help you, and you will have a simple working solution, that does exactly what you want.

If someone tells you (since you are in NY) to simply go to B&H Photo, and buy this -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756605-REG/Drobo_DR_B800FS_4A21_B800F...

let me assure you that it will not work, you will not have shared storage, and you will be throwing out this money in the toilet.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:16:06 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You don't want to try to build this yourself."

Second Nate and Bob (and Adi), with one possible caveat. Consumerization of shared storage is already here for general IT, small business and home networks, and it's arriving to collaborative editing as well. One of the first manifestations is GB Labs Space Adi mentioned. While not sold on Amazon or B&H, and still requiring a modicum of integration (switch, NICs, permissions), it's much more plug-n-play than most other solutions out there. Setting it up in my shop and editing off of it took all of 10 minutes. Possibly something for OP to look into.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:23:12 pm

Hi Ryan,

For a month, why not just rent a system. You won't have to deal with the headache and it's gone when you don't need it. I bet you can call Dom at MPE or Scott at East Coast Digital and get a good price.

Alternately, rent space in a facility. Most have shared storage available and I can get you the names of several facilities in Manhattan that have 4-walls for rent.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 31, 2013 at 3:01:14 pm

Hi Ryan,

I guess I had best jump in here as well.

At Small Tree we provide simple, affordable and high performance Ethernet based shared storage for video editors. If you poke around the forums on CC you'll find many posts complimentary of our solutions.

I'd love to have an opportunity to discuss with you how our TITANIUM can meet your requirements and your budget.

Thanks.

tim@small-tree.com
952-641-7440

Tim Ward
Small Tree Communications
http://www.small-tree.com

Return to posts index

Ervin Tia
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:20:22 am

Hello,

SmallTrees' Titanium4 looks closer to what we are looking for (or what we can afford:-). Tim, is this fully compatible with AvidMC-Mac?

What if we are really-really low-budgetted and desperate...What's the next solution that can at least provide essential shareability of Avid projects and media between two MacPros?

Thanks!

----------
Ervz | Video Productions | WMC-AP, Philipines
System 1: Mac Pro/8-Core/10 GB/OSX 10.6.8
Avid MC/Adobe CS6
System 2: Windows XP Pro, SP3 / 4 Gig / Intel

https://vimeo.com/ervzman/videos

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:36:10 pm

Ok, the "really-really" took you out of the market for anything purpose built by a manufacturer. It seems like you're not into renting, which could get you a great system for a month, for a fraction of the new purchase price. All you're left with is a volume-level share, FC or iSCSI, you won't be very scalable and you're not sharing Avid projects.

The manufacturers that offer these feature have to develop and SUPPORT it, and that's where the premium cost comes in. Avid would rather you buy an ISIS, so when we say we're fully compatible with the Avid workflow, it's on us to be fully compatible, or else. Again, let me know if rental is appealing to you and I can hook you up.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]