FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drive Upgrade for my Caldigit HDPro 2

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Muzafar Malik
Drive Upgrade for my Caldigit HDPro 2
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:59:31 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my 8-bay Caldigit HD Pro 2 raid with 2TB or 3TB drives. I have 1TB drives from Caldigit in there right now.

Has anyone installed non-enterprise drives in there Caldigit HD Pro2 Raids? I rather not pay $500 for each drive from Caldigit.

Anyone info is appreciated?

Muzafar Malik
Editor

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Drive Upgrade for my Caldigit HDPro 2
on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:42:05 pm

There's 2 parts to this question that i think you're mixing together:

1. Can you replace CalDigit drives with non-CalDigit drives
2. Can you use non-enterprise drives such as desktop drives.

with number 1, i believe that you can, as long as you already have the sleds, which you do. i think one of my clients did this on an HDPro. i fired off an email to them and i'm waiting to hear back. on the systems i built with CalDigit RAID cards that used the 4 internal Mac Pro bays, we used non-Caldigit drives.

with number 2, absolutely not. you want to use Enterprise grade drives such as the Western Digital RE or the Hitachi Ultrastar. these are designed to work in RAID environments both physically (spinning in close proximity to other drives) and in firmware (spin up time, not going to sleep, etc). you also get a longer warranty (5 years) with enterprise drives. they don't cost as much as drives directly from CalDigit, but they will be more expensive that desktop drives. don't go cheap here. if you use desktop or "green" hard drives, your RAID will go offline repeatedly. it's not that it will be slower, it's that it will be incredibly unstable. this wasn't always the case, but this is the cost of manufacturers making their cheap hard drives even cheaper.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:36:34 pm

Like Eric said, the majority of desktop drives aren't warranted, supported or configured for parity RAIDs (link). That said, HGST Deskstars are warranted for RAIDs, including parity ones, and I've had good experience with them. Would I recommend Desktars to anyone whose business depends on their reliability? Unlikely. :)

My fairly busy DL380G5 server with five VMs has been running desktop drives in RAID6 for the past four years 24/7, knock on wood. I wouldn't run desktop drives in RAID5 though unless my tolerance for downtime and data loss is high.

Desktop drives are usually made on the same assembly line and from exact same components enterprise ones are; the differences are in firmware and warranty, and if my understanding is right, in test results: if a drive doesn't get a certain score in these tests, it's going to the "desktop" bin.

Is it worth the price difference? Depends on your requirements and (fault) tolerance levels. Google's compute nodes are mostly crude and not very reliable desktop-class machines - and it's fine because of a very high system-wide fault tolerance built into their infrastructure. Most of their other IT is very much enterprise class.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

AJ Epstein
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:34:25 am

Hey everyone,

I found this thread as I've been wondering how to upgrade the drives in my HDOne.

My HDOne shipped with 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (non-enterprise) drives, and ran flawlessly for a couple years until I took it offline (CalDigit never got around to offering 3TB or larger drives, and now it's discontinued)

This was actually a surprise to discover that they are desktop drives, though my understanding is that CalDigit uses custom firmware on the drives they ship, so I have no idea if an off the shelf Barracuda would perform correctly.

just my .02.

AJ

Return to posts index

Martin Andrews
on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:36:54 pm

This may be a bit late, but we swapped out the drives in our HD Pro, not the HD Pro 2 model, with WD Enterprise 2TB drives. The unit works perfectly, and hasn't had any issues since (6 months ago). You definitely will need to go with Enterprise class drives due to the error time out issue.

This will however void your warranty, but our system was out of warranty anyways.

Return to posts index

Aaron Padilla
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:53:51 pm

I just upgraded my HDPro with a new raid controller making it the current model. The technician and sales person that sold me the raid controller said 2TB Toshiba Internal Desktop HD was fine to replace my current drives and I've been using them without a problem. I would recommend giving them a call to verify this for yourself as they are very helpful.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03:22 pm

hmm. I wonder if the Toshiba desktop drives have the short timeout setting that RAID controllers expect, or if CalDigit has their controller set to deal with desktop drive time outs.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Martin Andrews
on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:23:03 pm

We replaced just the drives, not the controller, on our HDPro (Version 1) - with WD 2TB Enterprise Drives.

Have had no issues - with write speeds in the 400-500mb range.

Also, they list a limit of 12tb with the HDPro - which can be overcome by upgrading to the HDPro 2 controller - however we had no problem doing a RAID 5 with the 8 2TB drives, giving us about 14TB of space (on the HDPro V1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]