FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAN server for collaboration on FCP7

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eduardo Brambila
SAN server for collaboration on FCP7
on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:18:20 pm

Hi I'm working for a company that does realities programs and we are looking to share the videos between the editors and the audio engineer. (about 10 people) We were thinking about buying a Dell R720xd server but Im not sure it will work for our needs.

We need about 40 TB of space (hoping to spand later) , and fibre channel connection.

Could you help me decide if we are going in the right direction and one final thing we dont have a lot of budget to spend.

Thanks

Eduardo

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: SAN server for collaboration on FCP7
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:28:35 pm

Hey Eduardo

If you're looking to create a SAN based on fibre, you're definitely gonna want to contact one of the companies listed on this forum. Bob Zelin will probably chime in with a list (if he doesn't just search for his past posts). There's a lot more to it than just a server or storage, and you will want an integrator to do the setup for you.

If you're looking to hook up 10 computers with 40TB, then you're probably looking at $40k to start.

If you don't need fibre, 1Gb ethernet can be cheaper. probably $25k to start.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Matt Stone
on Jan 8, 2013 at 8:23:23 pm

Hey Eduardo,

A server and storage are 2 main components but there is a little bit more that is involved in SAN. We offer a final share system that is 1Gb Ethernet which is much cheaper than fibre, and will most likely work with your work flow and your budget.

Give us a call at the office for more information and pricing for your system.
(714)374-4944

Matt Stone
Maxx Digital
Director of Marketing

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:50:52 pm

Hi Eduardo,

As Matt wrote above, sharing video storage amoung multiple users is more complicated than you might imagine. The standard rules that apply to general IT typically don't work for video, which requires sustained throughput.

If you would like to know more, please feel free to call me (949) 861-2709, Skype me: drwfilms, or write me, and I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can.

David

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:41:31 am

look at Matt Stone chiming in - good for you Matt !

A 48TB system that can handle 10 clients with Gig E is about $25,000.

Is that within your budget. Are you using just Apple ProRes422 and 422HQ, because you can do this with 10 clients with just Gig E (the switch will be a 10GbE switch, but the clients will connect via 10GbE).

Everyone who is answering you here is good, and very knowlegeable.
And I am sure there will be others. Just forget that Dell server, please ! That will do nothing for you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:39:33 pm

Hi Eduardo,

It's always exciting to see someone investigating shared storage.
Be sure to fully understand everything. Otherwise you'll get caught up and be forced to spend more on bandages and support rather then a config out of the box designed to do this for you by design. Be sure to utilize the experts here. Lots of choices for you to consider.

Don't forget to give Small Tree a call. You can get a price/performance configuration that many will
will agree is one of the best on the market. Without the standard high costs associated with fiber.

Let us know what questions you have and were all happy to answer them.
For all intensive purposes on this post, I represent Small Trees Sales Division.

Best regards, and best of luck,

Matt Geier
(Video Networking Solutions Expert)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)
(Technical Video Industry Sales Consultant)

Return to posts index

Adi Antariksa
on Jan 9, 2013 at 7:42:45 pm

Eduardo,

You may also want to check out Space by GB Labs - ww.gblabs.com - ethernet based shared storage solution. Gb-E or 10Gb-E, expendable, no client licenses, easy to manage and fast deployment.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Cheers,

Adi Antariksa
GB Labs USA
E-Mail: adi@gblabs.com

Return to posts index

Stephen McKenna
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:56:14 pm

Hi Eduardo,

As many here have already mentioned shared storage for video is a very different animal than a simple IT file server. We at Studio Network Solutions (SNS) have been manufacturing shared storage solutions for media production for 15 years now. SNS is intimately familiar with the production cycle of reality TV, our clients include some of the largest and prominent reality production houses in the world. I can put you in contact with any of them if you would like a reference or some additional guidance. Our servers can support GbE/10 GbE or Fiber Channel, you can even mix and match all of these connectivities in one box providing the maximum in system flexibility. We strive to partner with our clients for the long haul by supplying systems for today while maintaining an easily scalable architecture allowing your purchase to grow with you as your needs evolve in the future.

If you would like to learn more about our products or would just like to talk about media SAN deployments in general, please feel free to give me a call at 314-775-8727.

Sincerely,
Stephen McKenna
Studio Network Solutions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 12, 2013 at 5:03:00 pm

I think that Eduardo wants to buy a $2000 DELL server, and build a shared storage system using this, and his existing network.

There have been many excellent replies to this post, but what WE think of as "very inexpensive" is not very inexpensive to many people in our business. They can't understand why they can't go to Office Depot and build a shared video enviornment for 10 people for HD Video.

And thus, my frustration with many of the forums on the internet.
I just saw this on the Archive forum, where a gentleman can't understand why he should buy an LTO system, when he can backup his terabytes of data onto the cloud. Exactly how do you respond to nonsense like this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]