FORUMS: list search recent posts

cloud-based storage for video footage?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pawel paw
cloud-based storage for video footage?
on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:19:18 pm

hello,

I am looking for any possibility to keep lot of imported footage anywhere outside of my corporation. Is it any cloud-based service which can hosts my files? I have very good internet connection here, but I have not any professional storage system, I have lot of small disks and searching is very problematic :(.

thanks for any ideas,

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: cloud-based storage for video footage?
on Dec 30, 2012 at 9:17:45 am

'Lots of footage' can mean different things to different people. Take a look at Amazon services. You can host videos on Vimeo privately, and on the other end you could look at a service like Backblaze.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

pawel paw
on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:49:24 am

thank you for your reply.

We are making lot of video material on our Sony HDV camera and we are copying it to Mac Pro via iMovie. It is good app but we have local storage limitations. I hope that is any video service which could hang up our non compressed material and for searching purposes could show a timelinie like in iMovie - with thumbnails and time. I would like to mark as important - I would like to keep noncompressed, notchanged material.

tank you

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Dec 30, 2012 at 11:09:42 am

Try Akamai and Bit Gravity.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:17:21 pm

[pawel paw] " I have lot of small disks and searching is very problematic"

What is problematic? Constantly putting the drives in and taking them out of a Mac Pro? If so, you could get a FW800 or eSATA hard drive dock to easily mount/unmount your bare drives. If I'm on target with what's going on, you really need to be sure to have backups of your files.

I just came across rackspace (I do not have any experience with their services) when I googled Akamai. There is a $0.15/GB per month plan for plain data storage in the cloud or $0.70 for cloud storage... wait for it... on SSDs- http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/public/blockstorage/pricing/

But how many GB do you plan on storing? Is this kind of thing really a feasible option for a video editor? Seems like it would be a lot of upload/downloading and nonsense but maybe I don't understand your intentions. What's holding you back from getting some decent local storage?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2012 at 4:48:40 pm

Pawel,
your request is unrealistic. You want to keep "uncompressed" HD video on a cloud site ? It will take days to upload and download a single file. To store terabytes on a cloud site with todays technology is just unrealistic.

There are wonderful companies like Media Silo that are professional companies for our industry to keep large amounts of data on a cloud site. But you should create your own h.264 proxy files as reference files as well, so you can browse these files over the internet. You can't play back raw HDV or Pro Res codecs over an internet connection.

Cloud editing is a concept that will be further shown this year at NAB2013, by Adobe and AVID - Adobe's new product will be called Adobe Anywhere, but requires a half million dollar Omneon server to operate properly.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:36:42 pm

If you're having trouble with search, i would suggest CatDV.

what are your local storage limitations? local storage will be MUCH cheaper and less complicated than cloud storage. even services like Adobe Anywhere are based on highly compressed footage. i've looked into Amazon Glacier, but only for storage of finished projects.

another option is to work with a stock footage company. i've worked with a few that allow you to upload a lot more media than you're offering for sale, to allow you to use their web-based metadata search for all of your footage, and not just your stock footage. but even this is compressed H.264 and not uncompressed. but this is probably beyond what you're looking for.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Jan 6, 2013 at 7:48:37 pm

Depending on your Internet connection you can indeed play back raw HDV material.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]