FORUMS: list search recent posts

Real-World examples of 10Gb enet on a Mac?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryson jones
Real-World examples of 10Gb enet on a Mac?
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:30:01 pm

Just a strange conversation starter...

Does anyone out there have a rig running with 10Gig on OSX server sharing to 10Gig clients? (No switch uplinkers please, that's pretty common.) ;)

Just gathering info for a client recommendation and haven't seen a lot of this in the field. If anyone can pitch in, please do.

thanks,

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Real-World examples of 10Gb enet on a Mac?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:18:16 am

why yes, Bryson - I do, in multiple places. I personally like the ATTO NS14 cards, but cards from Myricom, Solarflare, Chelsio and Small Tree work wonderfully.

If you call me, I will give you all the details.
Bob Zelin
CEL (407) 257 9157

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: al-World examples of 10Gb enet on a Mac?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 2:53:20 am

Hey Bryson,

Same here. Call me too :)

Matt Geier
(Video Networking Solutions Expert)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)
(Technical Video Industry Sales Consultant)

Return to posts index

Robbie Coblentz
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:22:06 pm

We have a Bob-installed Final Share system that we took to direct connect 10GIG. Dropped in an ATTO NS14 to the main server and ATTO NS11 cards to each client. Have 10GIG fibre with SFPs between each client and the server. Works very, very well. Great reads and writes. Have 3 edit suites hooked up via 10GIG direct and the fourth port feeding the uplink to the switch so everyone else can access via Gig ethernet.

Return to posts index

Adam Berk
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:47:46 pm

I swore away from these forums a while back, but what the hell, I may decide to throw in a post here and there if all goes well.

What sort of speeds are you getting with the Aja system test (1920x1080 10bit RGB) or the Blackmagic Disk Test? From what I've seen, using simple AFP with a Mac Pro as a server in a configuration like this doesn't get very good throughput. Bob's own "review" of the maxxdigital final share notes only 300MB/s throughput to 10gbe connected clients. I would not consider this acceptable for the workflows I'm responsible to design and implement. On our test bed system we've seen upwards of 600MB/s and above for mac clients using a slightly different setup (myricom cards, windows 2008 R2 server, metalan).

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:39:00 pm

Small Tree has lots. It's taken off since 10GbaseT came out. We do it to Titanium as well.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:24:06 pm

Apologies for the misunderstandings here. This was actually aimed at finding some end users, not vendors or resellers, who could speak to this on here.

The original request was from a client who had spoken to tons of manufacturers but no actual end users.

The main concern I see is the use of network shares on FCPX. FCP7 seems fine with this workflow and I suspect Premiere would be happy as well but I'm curious about how people are handling this in the field.

They've made their decision now but it's good to have a public list of the providers if nothing else.

It's such a small industry, it blows me away. Good to see so many folks I know pipe up. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]