FORUMS: list search recent posts

AFP performance discovery

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Modica
AFP performance discovery
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:52:57 pm

Was playing with Adobe Premiere this week trying to debug frame drop issues and I discovered something pretty amazing. Over Small Tree 10Gb cards, AFP IO is consistently 4MB per IO on the server side. When I run the same exact traffic over Apple Gigabit ports, the IO is *terrible*. 8k, 16k, 32k and it grows slowly over time. The latency is high even when the IO gets to a large size. (NOTE: this is on the disk IO side, the network isn't involved in the IO completion time at all).

So I'm off to sort that out. Maybe Small Tree's cards will have an advantage here :) I need to try a Small Tree Gigabit port.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AFP performance discovery
on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:05:21 pm

I look foward to hearing about the performance of the PEG1 in the same test rig.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Aug 19, 2012 at 11:34:45 am

A Small Tree gigabit port in a Thundebolt box did much much better. It played more like 10Gb. There was still some tiering of the IO, but rather than 2 or 3 4MB IOs before dropping back to 8k, it would do dozens. 80% or more were 4MB and the video played well.

One thing I've noticed is that Premiere seems to drop frames on playback, but they don't stop. In fact, you wouldn't know they did it unless you had the frame drop monitor enabled. I've got a bunch of adobe debug stuff turned on.

Steve

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:35:03 pm

are you testing with CS5.5. or CS6 ?

Bob

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:32:17 am

CS 6.0.2. It has a fix for the 2GB quicktime render issue.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]