FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing Premiere Pro Project and Media Files residing on a Mac from Premiere Pro on Windows 7

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Moreau
Accessing Premiere Pro Project and Media Files residing on a Mac from Premiere Pro on Windows 7
on Jul 3, 2012 at 4:03:52 pm

I've posted something similar in the Premiere Pro forum as well. I have been using

I recently purchased a fast PC running Windows 7 and the Adobe CS 5.5 Suite to augment my aging Mac Pro for Premiere Pro CS 5.5 (and probably CS 6 as soon as the kinks are worked out). Right now my online media resides on several fast eSATA RAID 5 drives, plugged into my Mac Pro through some eSATA PCI cards. It works well and I have pretty good bandwidth, from 200MBS to 250MBS using this method, I think enough speed for the type of media I use in my edits, a combination of XDCAM EX, AVCHD, Canon H.264 with perhaps 4-5 streams at once in Multicam edits.

I have my drives shared of Mac 10.7.3 SMB sharing and through some convolutions managed to map drive letters on those drives on my Windows 7 PC and right not it can reliably access my Mac drives and the media.

I am now using Gigabit ethernet with jumbo frames on the Mac Pro and the Windows PC and am getting acceptable speed while editing on my Windows 7 Premiere Pro. I plan to add another Gigabit ethernet card that supports link aggregation to my PC and use both ports on my Mac Pro and a managed switch to hopefully double my 70MB/second throughput I'm now getting to 140MB/second. But for now, in the test phase I don't see a lot of issues with the networking speed.

The biggest issue I now have has to do with sharing the same project files over the network between Mac and PC. If I take a project, for example created on Mac PPro, then open it in Windows over a SMB share, Premiere Pro doesn't seem to have any clue where the files are and asks me to locate every one. In addition Premiere Pro doesn't give me a clue about the original path, it just tells me 00000.MTS could not be located I happen to use AVCHD a lot and therefore there are multiple 00000.MTS files throughout my project.

Is there some utility on Windows that allows me to 'fool' Windows into knowing about the Mac paths that are stored in Premiere Pro, some type of mapping or configuration file in windows where I can say, for example "5500_GB_EXT_2" == "Z:Mac-Pro5500_GB_EXT2" Since on my Windows I have fixed drive mapping to my Mac's shared drives over the network, this would be a one time setting. If not I can't bear to have to spend hours relinking every time I use the same project, created on Mac, on Windows.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]