FORUMS: list search recent posts

mainly for Steve Modica

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
mainly for Steve Modica
on May 30, 2012 at 8:28:51 pm

but others will enjoy this.

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/05/cant-create-quicktime-movie-larg...

Can’t create QuickTime movie larger than 2.15GB across network using AFP
by Todd Kopriva
Comments (0)
Created
May 10, 2011We’ve been getting reports of people being unable to export QuickTime files larger than 2.15GB across a network using AFP (Apple Filing Protocol).

Here’s what’s happening:

In After Effects CS5, we moved to using the Apple API AddMediaSample2. This API is critical for frame reordering to work and gives us access to 64-bit time samples, which means that we can export longer movies.

However, AddMediaSample2 has a bug that AddMediaSample (the API that we used for After Effects CS4) doesn’t: When the file size reaches 2.15GB on an AFP volume, the function returns -1309 (fileBoundsErr), and the calling application is stuck and can’t do anything else.

This bug in this Apple API also affects Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Premiere Pro, as well as any other program using the AddMediaSample2 API. See this post on the Apple QuickTime API list for an example.

Adobe and Apple are working on addressing this issue.

This issue only affects individual QuickTime files larger than 2.15GB rendered and exported over an AFP network. Therefore, there are several possible workarounds:

•Use NFS instead of AFP. (Some users report success using SMB, though others report failure.)
•Render and export locally instead of across a network.
•Render and export to a format other than QuickTime.
•Render and export to image sequences and then assemble image sequences into QuickTime movies using Adobe Media Encoder or QuickTime Pro on the remote machine.

Return to posts index

David Gagne
Re: mainly for Steve Modica
on May 31, 2012 at 12:24:03 am

Ew. Just when I thought that AFP was the go to protocol. And that article is over a year old.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2012 at 1:59:33 am

and the reply is directly from Adobe !

Steve Modica already knows this info - I just wanted him to see this from an official Adobe statement.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on May 31, 2012 at 3:17:26 am

I filed this bug: 7420889 (Nov of 2009)
I used RedAlert to reproduce it and provided stack traces system call traces showing this same exact issue. I worked with one of the AFP engineers to nail it down to a quicktime library issue. The bug was closed with this:

15-Oct-2010 12:38 PM Apple Developer Bug Reporting Team :
Engineering has provided the following information:

We will not be developing additional fixes for this issue due to resource constraints.

We are now closing this bug since our engineers are aware of the issue and will continue to track it offline.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on May 31, 2012 at 3:19:35 am

I filed this bug: 7420889
I used RedAlert to reproduce it and provided stack traces system call traces showing this same exact issue. I worked with one of the AFP engineers to nail it down to a quicktime library issue. The bug was closed with this:

15-Oct-2010 12:38 PM Apple Developer Bug Reporting Team :
Engineering has provided the following information:

We will not be developing additional fixes for this issue due to resource constraints.

We are now closing this bug since our engineers are aware of the issue and will continue to track it offline.

EDIT: It looks like the issue isn't really "2GB files" per se. It occurs when one segment of a quicktime container is larger than 2GB. So if your quicktime doesn't have any elements larger than 2GB, it could be any size and be fine. This is in part why it was so hard to figure out, many large files would work fine.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:40:22 am

This is fixed in updates to Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder and in the next version of After Effects:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/05/cant-create-quicktime-movie-lar...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03:23 am

I have to say, Adobe has been the most amazing partner since "the schism" that was FCP X.
That particular quicktime bug has been around for a long time and we've worked very hard to fix it (I sent lots of traces to apple etc). Adobe is the only vendor that actually went out and fixed it.

So to summarize (and I'll be blogging about this further):

Adobe Premiere:
1. Imports FCP 7 stuff easily
2. Allows FCP 7 hot keys
3. Works with inexpensive NAS storage with no special (aka expensive) stuff
4. Listens to their customers and fixes other peoples' bugs
5. Has a real integration engineer who actually helps with support issues and ropes in the right people.

If anyone had any doubts as to what the best choice was for a replacement to FCP 7, I'd like to suggest that even if there are things about Premiere you don't like, if you speak up, they are likely to take you seriously and fix it. I feel pretty safe recommending Premiere when customers ask me about the best NLE to use these days.

Steve

[Todd Kopriva] "This is fixed in updates to Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder and in the next version of After Effects:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/05/cant-create-quicktime-movie-lar.....

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog"

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]