FORUMS: list search recent posts

a post asking about SAN just disappeared (complete list)

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
a post asking about SAN just disappeared (complete list)
on May 9, 2012 at 12:03:52 am

I was going to reply to a question about a shared storage system, but the post disappeared -

anyway, this is a pretty good list of the shared storage systems on the market -

Fibre -
Facilis Terrablock
Studio Network Solutions
(old) AVID Unity
Apple XSAN (using Promise or Active Storage arrays)
Tiger Technology MetaSAN
Command Soft Fibre Jet (with Rorke Data storage)
JMR (with Command Soft or MetaSAN software)
Sonnet Technology (with Command Soft or MetaSAN software)

10Gig Ethernet -
Maxx Digital Final Share
Small Tree Granite Stor and Titanium
Studio Network Solutions
EditShare
Apace Systems
AVID ISIS 5000

1Gig Ethernet -
Maxx Digital Final Share
Small Tree Granite Stor
Studio Network Solutions
Edit Share
Apace Systems
ProMax ShareMax
Tiger Technology MetaLAN
AVID ISIS 5000

InfiniBand Solutions -
Cal Digit Super Share
Accusys

there are a few others, but this should get you started in your research.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tycho Moore
Re: a post asking about SAN just disappeared (complete list)
on May 9, 2012 at 5:53:43 pm

So, Bob, as well as these off-the-shelf systems, when you said of your 4-year-old piece on building your own SAN, "We NEVER EVER do this anymore. There are much better solutions for the same money." - are there better DIY solutions, or do some of these commercial systems qualify as 'for the same money'?

I only ask because I have to embark pretty soon on a 3 edit station around shared storage build.

Most grateful for any input!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 9, 2012 at 10:24:32 pm

yes - there are plenty of systems that I have listed in my list, that will do exactly what you want. I cannot specify one system on Creative Cow - you have to do your own research, and make some phone calls to ask for prices.

the inexpensive systems will be ethernet based - not Fibre based (ethernet is cheaper). You see the list for ethernet that says Studio Network Solutions, Small Tree, Maxx Digital, etc. Start with that list.

Remember, you are buying a server, a big disk drive array, and the ethernet equipment required to make this work. A $2000 drive array from Other World Computing will not let you accomplish what you want. (however, Other World Computing did introduce a wonderful Jupiter series of drive arrays at NAB for professionals - and they don't cost $2000).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Henning
on May 14, 2012 at 2:24:09 am

Tiger Technology MetaSAN also works great with 10Gig Ethernet.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 15, 2012 at 12:53:48 am

yes it does - sorry I forgot to put that in .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Aaron Vaughn
on May 16, 2012 at 3:20:22 pm

ArcStorage also produces a unified storage solution, meaning we support these protocols on our storage at the same time: Ethernet, NFS/CIFS, 10gbe, iSCSI, Fiber, and Infiniband.

We build our shArc system specifically for video editing, and pricing is very competitive.

We would like to be considered for this list.

Aaron Vaughn
http://www.arcstorage.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 17, 2012 at 12:19:14 am

There's also HyperFS from Rorke data. Formerly from Falcon Stor and before that a research group in China. It a file level SAN.

http://rorke.com/products/san-storage-area-networks/hyperdrive-file-level-s...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 17, 2012 at 2:57:32 am

well, now I am really wrong, as I loved the Rorke solution - especially with Strawberry at NAB. I was in a rush to create this list, and I forgot important players in our market. Don't worry - I mention Rorke in my NAB article coming up !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Todd
on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:02:48 pm

Bob,
You should mention that Facilis is not only fibre, but also 1 and 10Gb ethernet.
The problem with going ethernet based is the limitation of your client connection.
A single 1Gb connection may not have enough bandwidth to supply the stream count you need.
4Gb fibre seems to be the right speed for a lot of clients. Avid's dual connecting 1Gb ethernet (ISIS 5k) seems to produce adequate bandwidth to the client, but their overall chassis performance is slower than most. 10Gb ethernet will be great to a client, but the price is still prohibitive. When 40Gb ethernet switches are the norm and you link your client's with 10Gb connections, then I'm all in with ethernet based SANs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]