FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAN File Management for FCP

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Honer
SAN File Management for FCP
on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:06:05 pm

Has anyone published a good file management system for a SAN system using a small network of FCP work stations. We have six stations connected to a Final Share SAN. Wondering about where to set scratch disks for things like video render, audio render, autosave vault...on SAN or local drive. Where to store additional exports, graphics and animations.? Where to save FCP Project file. etc Suggestion?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SAN File Management for FCP
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:18:36 pm

Hi Mark -
others will give their suggestions, which is more valuable than mine, but for for FCP Projects, save your FCP projects on your LOCAL DRIVE VOLUME (on the FCP system), and then create a shared projects folder, where you can manually drag your locally saved FCP projects so that everyone can have access to them. If you only create a FCP Projects folder on the shared volume, and have "AutoSave" always save to the shared projects folder on the shared volume, you will get error messages saying that it can't save the project. This does not always happen, but it happens often enough. Just avoid this aggrivation.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marco Stahl
Re: SAN File Management for FCP
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:11:07 pm

Hi Mark,

what you are trying to do does not necessarily require an automated project or media asset management. It can be done with some discipline in a manual way. If you are looking for a tool that enables FCP7 project sharing, media management and storage maintenance i recommend you to take a look into FlavourSys Strawberry. My company offers a SAN agnostic affordable solution that organizes FCP projects, makes projects, media files and meta data available for search and gives you some nice extra features when it comes to user/storage and team management. I don’t know any other solution that can do this with an existing storage infrastructure. If you are interested take a look at: http://flavoursys.com/strawberry-is-collaborative-editing.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]