FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reuse old Fiber Channel QLogic QLE2460

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dolps fernando
Reuse old Fiber Channel QLogic QLE2460
on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48:33 am

Hi guys!

Our facility has 7 QLogic QLE2460 & 2 QLogic SANbox 5600 & cables. So far it's been unused for the past 3 years since we've not renewed our BrightSystem. I'm wondering If we can still use it to build new SAN. We're using new macpros and so far QLogic QLE2460 doesn't have a driver for OSX 10.6.x. I hope you guys have suggestion on how we can maximize the assets.

Thanks!
dolps

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Reuse old Fiber Channel QLogic QLE2460
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:24:41 pm

You won't be able to use those HBAs in a Mac that is newer than Leopard. Qlogic ceased development for Mac OS for its HBAs at 10.5. If you want to use them, it will have to be in Linux or Windows or Leopard hosts for which Qlogic distributes drivers for that HBA.

What can you do with it? You can upgrade to Lion and get some Apple FC cards for you Mac Pros and you've got everything you need for Xsan save for some FC RAIDs.

If you don't want to dedicate one of the Mac Pros to MDC duty, get a Mac mini Server with a SANlink and a USB Ethernet adapter as well. Get two if you want redundancy.

Also, unless you really know what you are doing, hire some help if you want to build out Xsan. You can also look into metaSAN or SANmp. metaSAN claims to not need an MDC, but they quietly recommend one (or used to). SANmp is volume locking.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Reuse old Fiber Channel QLogic QLE2460
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:59:43 am

We can help you with a solution and also get a qlogic tech on the phone to see if anything can be done. Please contact my office privately via email or phone.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved