FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac's accssing a SAN on a Server 2k8 machine

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Holzhauer
Mac's accssing a SAN on a Server 2k8 machine
on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:49:00 pm

We have two developers using Final Cut Pro and we would like to have them be able to access the same shared storage (we have no plans to run Final Cut Server) We wanted to configure a server running Windows Server 2008 R2 and install the software you mentioned to allow the two developers to access it at the same time.

I just wondered if you had seen any issues between Mac’s accessing a shared storage solution running Windows.

(The article I'm referencing is http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/build-your-own-affordable-san-that-... )

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Mac's accssing a SAN on a Server 2k8 machine
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:10:11 am

As I responded to Carl, using a Win 2008 server is NOT the right thing to do, to get shared storage to work between multiple MAC clients. You are only leading up to heartache.

You can use a MAC server, you can use a Linux server, but you will suffer with a Win 2008 server with only MAC clients.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Carl Holzhauer
Re: Mac's accssing a SAN on a Server 2k8 machine
on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:04:09 pm

Thanks for your response.

I'm curious as to what problems you've run into? We currently have a Server 2008 machine acting as a simple file share (right click, share folder) and this works pretty well, but we're just looking for something a little more integrated.

Linux would be a possible solution for us; what software package on would you recommend for use on Linux?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]