FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quantum LTO-5 Tape Library - TAR GNU Commands from MAC

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Korver
Quantum LTO-5 Tape Library - TAR GNU Commands from MAC
on Sep 30, 2011 at 5:12:42 pm

Hi All,
We just installed and integrated a new StorNext 8GB Fiber SAN (NetApp Hardware running dual RHEL MDCs as server w/failover). It's Stornext 4.1 MDCs with 5x Mac workstations running XSAN as clients. We also purchased a Quantum i80 LTO-5 Robotic Tape Library (w/2x 8GB Fiber LTO5 drives) and we're looking into low cost ways to interact with the Library. Any suggestions? It would be great if we could at minimum archive and restore TAR GNU archives between the online storage and tape library. Can we do this from shell commands on our Mac workstations? Is there any GUI-based software that would work as an archive and restore tool from a Mac that isn't crazy expensive like Front Porch Digital or Atempo? I'd be willing to spend a few grand on software but the other options are in the $25-$50K range and while they are great tools we need to start with something a bit more cost effective.

Thought, ideas and experience welcome.

-Paul

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
Re: Quantum LTO-5 Tape Library - TAR GNU Commands from MAC
on Sep 30, 2011 at 6:42:25 pm

OSX does not include drivers for tapes, which means you can't use the bundled tar or cpio commands. You need a tool that includes its own drivers.

The cheapest option for tar on OSX is probably BRU tape tools.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Return to posts index

Paul Korver
on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:07:10 pm

Yeah but it writes proprietary BRU archives which are not widely accepted as a "deliverable" format (sometimes LTO-5 is a deliverable for us). Especially not by studios.

Someone on the Xsanity forum pointed me to PresSTORE which looks interesting and I'm going to look into.

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:46:46 pm

Dunno about Tar files.
But Presstore working here on a Mac.
Only one that didn't cause heartache.

My advice as given previously...
Get a reseller to advise on backup systems and buy with their support as part of package. Don't make the backup system part of your job description. Massive time vacuum. Have someone else to point the finger at!!!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:41:03 pm

[Paul Korver] "Yeah but it writes proprietary BRU archives which are not widely accepted as a "deliverable" format (sometimes LTO-5 is a deliverable for us). Especially not by studios."

BRU can write LTFS as an option. Open format, but I don't know what your delivery spec is restricted to. Does it need to be tar? LTFS is a nice alternative that is supported on OS X (just avoid using the Finder to access it).

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Oct 4, 2011 at 7:53:31 pm

Presstore is indeed a great and affordable piece of software. However, it doesn't do tar.

Sebastien

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Oct 4, 2011 at 7:56:59 pm

I said BRU tape tools, but I meant Tolis Tape Tools.

Sebastien

Sebastien Bertrand
Ordigraphe Inc.
Toronto, Canada
http://www.ordigraphe.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]