FORUMS: list search recent posts

I like OS X Lion Server - A LOT (XSAN)

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
I like OS X Lion Server - A LOT (XSAN)
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23:52 pm

Hi -
as with the usual hate mail that you see all over the forums for FCP-X, there is similar hate mail about OS X Lion Server. Well, guess what - OS X Lion Server is GREAT, and for a small company, it is EASY to use, and works wonderfully - does everything it needs to do, compared to OS X Snow Leopard Server, but just easier.

I am boring you with this, because Apple obviously is interested in EASY (for dopes like me), and FCP X defines this, as well as OS X Lion, and OS X Lion server (and iOS in general). SO, won't a future XSAN configuration meet with this Apple mindset - or will it remain as complex as it is today ? There is a Mac Mini Server (with only one ethernet port, but Thunderbolt) - so won't there be a "future" for XSAN on a Mac Mini ? Or will it remain the current nightmare configuration ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: I like OS X Lion Server - A LOT (XSAN)
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:13:38 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I am boring you with this, because Apple obviously is interested in EASY (for dopes like me), and FCP X defines this, as well as OS X Lion, and OS X Lion server (and iOS in general). SO, won't a future XSAN configuration meet with this Apple mindset - or will it remain as complex as it is today ? There is a Mac Mini Server (with only one ethernet port, but Thunderbolt) - so won't there be a "future" for XSAN on a Mac Mini ? Or will it remain the current nightmare configuration ? "

Somebody will need to make fibre channel switches easy for that to happen. It is technically possible that someone could build an "Xsan Hub" that uses Thunderbolt to carry both the FC and metadata LAN links that Xsan requires to run and requires minimal configuration to be used in an Xsan deployment, but I'd be STUNNED if one came from Apple. Maybe they will coax a partner to build one. But for now, the only way to build an Xsan still involves zoning an off-the-shelf fibre channel switch, setting up a discrete metadata LAN alongside the public LAN, and setting up the right cocktail of RAID LUNs to be made into an Xsan filesystem.

But yeah, it sure seems like they are up to something, doesn't it?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Roald Hemel
on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:44:45 am

You could use somtehing like this:

http://sonnettech.com/product/rackmacminixserver.html
or:
http://sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/index.html
or:
http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_series.aspx?region=en-global&m=192&rsn1...

If you combine a Sonnet Rackmac Mini Xserver (with decent 4x1Gb/s Ethernet card in PCIe slot) and the Promise SANLink to connect to your fiber swith, the Mac mini server could replace a Xserve.

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Oct 26, 2011 at 5:27:34 pm

Looking hard at that option. At the least, looking at using a Mac Mini as a redundant MDC.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]