FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accusys ExaSan

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abhijit Kanekar
Accusys ExaSan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:55:16 am

Hello All

We are looking for a SAN for our 6 FCP MacPros. We use panasonic P2 and DigiBeta pro res

Found Promise , Qlogic MacPro as Meta data etc too expensive and complicated.

Read about Accusys ExaSAN one stop shop SAN for a small setup unto 8 systems

Only problem is not able to find any reviews that if it works.

This is actually perfect
http://www.accusys.com.tw/SW0408/SW04/Overview.html

The Switch is the heart of the setup.

Would love to know if some has used or seen it work.

regards
Abhijit

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Accusys ExaSan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:49:58 pm

Abhijit,

Small Tree Communications provides network storage that is simple to install and administer, affordable and high performance. If you are interested in hearing more, please let me know. Thanks.

tim@small-tree.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:15:11 pm

Hi Abhijit,

yes, this works. This is the exact same product as Cal Digit Super Share. (that's where Cal Digit get's it from). It works. Remember - it requires SAN manangement software, which is NOT included in the price - like XSAN, MetaSAN or FibreJet.

Please keep up informed as to what decision you make. And remember, there are LOTS of inexpensive, easy to use shared storage systems on the market, not just Accusys - but yes, that system works well.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:56:20 pm

How does this work without metadata controllers? don't see any in the spec.

Remember the maxtronic one needed MD's.

Any idea on pricing?

s

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:40:10 pm

Simon
Please email Bob Z and i privately to discuss further. I am ron@maxxdigital.com and Bob is bobz@maxxdigital.com. And we will copy Neal if he is in your area as Neil is a good friend of Maxx Digital.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Abhijit Kanekar
on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:08:27 am

Even I don't know how it handles without MDC we are getting one for demo in 2 weeks

will connect 3 systems and see how it goes

The EXASAN 8 port Switch is Approx $4000 ( can connect 3 storage boxes to the switch)
we are thinking of going in for 12Bay boxes x 3 nos
A12S-PA $ 4700 without drives ( use Enterprice drives seagate is awesome at the moment ) also the storage box comes with 1 nos HBA

30M cable is $300
HBA card - $350 for every mac

Storage boxes they have 8-12 -16-32 bay
we are getting a 8 Bay to test out enough for 3 MacPros

Will keep posted of the result.

Regards
Abhijit

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:27:41 pm

Thanks for the info dude... keep me posted.

So its deffo no MDC's? hmm..

Price seems good on the sandbox.. though 4700 with no drives for a 12bay seems on the pricey side.

s

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:59:33 pm

please let me know what software they will use for the demo.
I wonder if they will demo with Apple XSAN as your management software instead of MetaSAN or FibreJet.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14:29 pm

ExaSAN itself does not need a metadata controller.

“ExaSAN does not need a metadata controller, however, most SAN software solutions and I think ALL file based SAN solutions recommend having a separate metadata server. This has nothing to do with Accusys ExaSAN and has everything to do with the SAN software providers. In order to be neutral, I will just state that, it is best practice to have metadata servers, for data and SAN integrity. With that said there is always a way around everything, as with Xsan you can use a metadata server as a workstation, (again not recommended) but doable, and it does require someone who knows what they are doing to set it up correctly, or it will not be pretty, and it is definitely not a long term solution. If you want the details I would recommend reading the Xsan admin guide http://images.apple.com/xsan/docs/Xsan_2_Admin_Guide.pdf if you need more info about any particular SAN solution, contact the software provider.”

ExaSAN provides storage. How and what the clients read from and write to ExaSAN, is up to the client.

Also remember when you are putting this together on your own;you have no over all support. I suggest you buy this through a system integrator and not try and do this yourself . You will have problems and system integrators solve these problems on a daily basis. Maxx Digital is only one of many great system integrators so my advise is to choose one that works for you.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
21562 Newland Street
Direct 714-374-4944
ron@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:29:18 pm

Take a look at Final share as well. You can also contact us for a one on one with Bob Zelin about your needs.

http://www.maxxdigital.com/fs/

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
21562 Newland Street
Direct 714-374-4944
ron@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:48:32 am

Abhijit,

If you happen to be in India (as your name suggests, pardon if not), and would like to consider Final Share, then I could help you implement it here. With help from Ron and Bob whom I know well. The storage can be imported from Maxx and we can execute it with help from Bob.

I'm back from IBC and I met with the people from Accusys there. That's a great solution as well, and as Bob wrote is the same or similar to Caldigit Super Share.

Feel free to get in touch with me, I can give you my cel number here in Mumbai if you're nearby.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]