FORUMS: list search recent posts

UPS for Sanman 16 bay raid storage

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roxanna Turner
UPS for Sanman 16 bay raid storage
on Jul 27, 2011 at 1:54:41 pm

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice since I'm not overly tech savvy. Could anyone tell me what kind of UPS would be suitable for a Sanman 16 bay raid storage system. On the back of the raid, the only info I could see was 450w on the left side and 450w on the right side. Does this mean that a 1000W ups would be sufficient. We have occasional power trips and I want to make sure that the raid keeps running and is protected. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: UPS for Sanman 16 bay raid storage
on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:54:21 pm

buy the biggest one you can afford. The big APC is between $500 - $600. For smaller systems, the Tiger Direct "Ultra" series is cheaper and very good.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:21:16 am

[Roxanna Turner] " On the back of the raid, the only info I could see was 450w on the left side and 450w on the right side. Does this mean that a 1000W ups would be sufficient. "

The power supplies could be redundant (only one operating at a time) which means a 450VA UPS should suffice - but you'd first want to find out the peak power usage of the array from the vendor.

Usually (but not always): the higher the VA rating of the UPS, the longer the runtimes - so you'd probably want to choose your UPS depending on the nature of the power trips (long? momentary?).

Or, like Bob Zelin says, just buy the biggest baddest UPS you can afford. :)

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Roxanna Turner
on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:10:36 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I don't have a great budget for the UPS, and shipping for an ups from tiger direct to Australia would be too expensive. I guess I'm just looking for what I could get away with, just powerful enough to keep the raid running for a few minutes while the power gets turned back on or the raid is shut down properly. I will try to get in touch with the vendor but if anyone has a similar Sanman 16 bay raid and has some idea of VA/W that it uses, please let me know. Thanks guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]