FORUMS: list search recent posts

INFORTREND Speed....

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harcharan Singh
INFORTREND Speed....
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:04:38 pm

We have an Infortrend Eonstor 2422 16TB array connected to 4ghz Qlogic card.
We have made two logical drives and assigned to two channels of the HBA.
We have striped both the channels from Windows 7 disk management.

But we not getting good speed. We have checked thru AJA system checked and it is giving around 180-to 200MBPS . Is this the maximum the array can give or we doing something wrong.

Thks
Harcharan

Return to posts index

Bernard Lamborelle
Re: INFORTREND Speed....
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:53:13 pm

Harcharan,

(I presume you meant 4Gbps (and not 4Ghz) speed)

I'm not an Infortrend expert (others might have more specific suggestions), but these numbers are definitely low for this type of array. You can start with two simple check:

- Check the low-level formatting block-size on the array: 512 bytes is typical. Anything smaller will impact performance. Anything bigger *might* cause compatibility issues.

- Check the speed on all FC ports. Should be either "Auto Detect" or set to 4Gbps

Let us know...

Bernard Lamborelle
bernard at tiger-technology dot com
http://www.tiger-technology.com
514-667-2015

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:24:38 pm

Hi,
Thks for your reply. I am not getting the 512 bytes option while formatting . I am using Windows 7.
Harcharan

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:31:02 pm

It is generally the case the OS striping code is designed to stripe drives and will use an extremely small interleave for your raids. That means they will be getting very small IOs and those are inefficient for a raid. I would suggest not striping them and seeing what you get.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Jun 3, 2011 at 6:22:20 pm

You're making it more complex than it needs to be, and using software RAID on a production volume, not only adds a point of failure, but makes it more difficult to reliably move the array to another machine.

Reformat the array as one RAID5 volume, with a hot spare if you can afford the loss of space. Without it if you can't. Use a 64Kb stripe size for mixed video, images, and graphics, or 128Kb stripe for pure video.

Connect it to your HBA with one fibre cable, and you should get over 300 MB/s read and write. A 16-bay Infortrend chassis gets about 375MB/s read/write when configured the same way. Also, your test results will vary dramatically depending on what frame size you use in AJA Stystem Test, so test for the format you'll actually be using if you want a realistic estimate of how the array will perform in actual use.

JM

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Jun 5, 2011 at 1:36:13 pm

Hi,
Thank you guys.I will do as suggested.Just wanted to know block-size on the array when I do the formatting.Thks
Harcharan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]