FORUMS: list search recent posts

I had a dream...

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Jurgenson
I had a dream...
on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:07:18 pm

I had a dream last night about the new Final Cut Pro. The big new feature was "true" collaborative editing, with laptops and desktops daisy chained via Thunderbolt. Media could sit anywhere on the network, and be shared amongst all users. Facetime was fully integrated, so you could chat and share your movie with friends amd associates on their iPhones and iPads while editing. It was a whole new paradigm in workflow. There was finally a big button that gives everything a film look. (still no native AVCHD, though.) Later in the dream I drove off a cliff.

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
Thunderbolts are Go!
on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:54:38 pm

But there's always strings attached.

Nate Cooper

Return to posts index

Alex Geroulaitis
Re: I had a dream...
on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:56:38 pm

[Eric Jurgenson] "There was finally a big button that gives everything a film look. ... Later in the dream I drove off a cliff."

Nice!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:02:13 pm

what is the instant buzz about Thunderbolt - it's on every forum today.

Unless you find h.264 files "good enough" for final work, you aint' gonna see
"Facetime was fully integrated, so you could chat and share your movie with friends amd associates on their iPhones and iPads while editing"

until cable company network speeds increase. Have you ever tried to use iChat theater with ProRes422 media - IT DOESNT WORK. Now, will network bandwidth over the "world wide web" increase, or will everyone's idea of what is "good enough" change, and become crap quality, so we can all have "Facetime". Or will true proxy editing become widespread (and who will create those proxy files of everythign that exists ?).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:50:19 pm

Bob, you crack me up, even on a thread talking about the dream of technologies you have IT DOESN'T WORK in all caps. I love it!

Nate Cooper

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:53:30 am

That's why I love this forum. Bob hangs out here. We have something in common: memories of the '60's. We also remember the days when editing was more than pushing one button: it was more like pushing many buttons at the right time and in exactly the right order.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:16:11 am

one of my favorite movie lines in history - from Mel Brook's Spaceballs, when they are trying to escape from the spaceship that is going to explode -

"Even in the future, nothing works" -

This cracks me up, because it's SO TRUE. Once Thunderbolt is mainstream and is a working technology, it will be obsolete by "the next big thing" (100Gig Ethernet - who knows) - and guess what - THAT WONT WORK EITHER.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:06:33 pm

Mine was - "They've gone to plaid"

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:02:08 am

Hey guys,

It's still that way -- it's just done differently with these new things!

Remember for Real Time Sustainable video, which is really what Bob talks about, you only need 40-50MB TOPS for the GREATEST Pro Res files out there! --- which of course these great new cables will be able to do... just like 10Gb can do today with CAT6 connections! ... The idea is that Thunderbolt is faster then the traditional USB and will work with existing USB hookups, providing the fastest connections over that kind of protocol.

Small Tree is curious how they work in real time environments -- and we will find out -- it's in our nature to! :)

Just today I was getting wind that perhaps we wanted to get out hands on one of the new Thunderbolt systems to test that out!

It's very cool, and Apple again, has led the industry of consumer friendly and very awesome products!!

Go Apple! WoOt wOoT!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]