FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tony Silanskas problem, and "doing it yourself"

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Tony Silanskas problem, and "doing it yourself"
on Dec 30, 2010 at 10:47:51 pm

Hi -
not that far down, is a thread about a stuttering Maxx Digital Final Share system that is based on Gigabit ethernet. The "pro" that was hired to upgrade the system ultimately said "aah, this is a piece of crap, you should buy a Fibre system - ethernet shared storage doesnt' really work" -

These were the problems that were created -
1) the "pro" daisy chained a non compatible SAS/SATA drive array to the Maxx Digital array.

2) the "pro" attached many other ethernet products to the dedicated shared storage switch, which was operating at a Jumbo Frame rate, along with all the editing systems. Specifically, he attached a Cache-A Prime, and a Final Cut Server system (which operate at a standard ethernet frame rate) to the shared storage switch (which operate at jumbo frames). All of this interfered with the operation of the shared storage system. This was resolved by simply moving this equipment onto an inexpensive dedicated switch for ethernet port 1.

3) Apple QMaster was turned on, on all FCP edit systems. You can't do that in an ethernet shared storage enviorment.

4) The Media drive arrays (the SATA arrays) had corrupt data on them. By running Disk Utility repair disk, and ultimately Disk Warrior on one problematic drive volume, all the "lockups" went away.

5) because this was a busy company, and I was not willing to work at 2am, it took almost a week for them to allow me to run Disk Warrior on the drive volume (13.5 TB of Media on a 16TB drive array).
And every day, they kept complaining that their system kept crashing, yet would not let me resolve their problem.

MORAL - it is very easy for people to say that you must have Fibre for a HD shared storage enviornment, and that ethernet simply does not work". This is absolute nonsense - if you hire a qualified person who is famiiar with the equipment, it works just fine.
Perfect for ProRes422 and ProRes422HQ

Maxx Digital'
Small Tree
Apace Systems
EditShare
SNS iSCSI
AVID Unity ISIS 5000

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Bucknall
Re: Tony Silanskas problem, and "doing it yourself"
on Dec 31, 2010 at 1:43:38 am

3) Apple QMaster was turned on, on all FCP edit systems. You can't do that in an ethernet shared storage enviorment.

Hi Bob, can you explain why it is not advised to use QMaster in an ethernet shared storage environment?

The only reason I ask is that we have a number of laptops connected over ethernet by MetaLAN to a MetaSAN server. All of these laptops have QMaster enabled and are fortunately not exhibiting any problems, but I would be keen to know what might happen if this doesn't change.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:00:38 pm

Tom,

Qmaster is a "shared rendering" program. It "harnesses" the entire available pool of CPU's to split up the rendering chores amongst many computers. This is an EXTREMELY bandwidth intensive activity. Therefore, if you're trying to edit simultaneously while distributing renders, as Bob says, "You will fail!".

So, having QMaster enabled isn't the problem. It's using it to render while trying to edit that sucks up all your bandwidth and causes dropped frames. In your case, do an experiment. Send an hour long file via QMaster to compressor for distributed rendering, and THEN have your whole team try to edit. Let us know what happens.

Mark

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:30:33 pm

Mark said it all.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:44:18 pm

I've noticed that the qmaster daemon is pretty chatty. When we're looking at problem tcpdumps and kernel.log files, we can usually spot qmaster right away.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]