FORUMS: list search recent posts

Read/Write Privileges and Shared Storage

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Ward
Read/Write Privileges and Shared Storage
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:05:58 pm

I've just created a GigE NAS setup for a project to be worked on by two editors. "System A" is a Mac Pro with a dual 4Gb fibre channel MediaVault 4210 RAID. "System B" is a G5 Quad that connects to "System A" by single GigE direct connection (project is only DV25). The share is only a folder; not the entire disk array. I made an "Apply to Enclosed Items" permissions change to the share from "System A." Both systems are running 10.5.8.

The project is currently setup with a master FCP project file used for capturing and clip organizing, which is kept on the share. There is no assistant editor; both editors need to capture and organize the footage in this capture project. The video project is broken down into multiple FCP project files for the various sections of the video. These are copied from the share and worked on from local storage, then saved with an incremental number and placed on the share for exchange.

The problem I'm running into is that after a file is modified on "System A," "System B" is only allowed read-only access. A workaround is to change permissions on "System A" before "System B" uses the project file. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
Re: Read/Write Privileges and Shared Storage
on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:09:47 pm

When "System B" (the client) connects to "System A" (the server), are you using the same username and password to connect as the username and password that you need for the user account on System A that is doing all the editing locally?

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:02:51 pm

[Dave Klee] "are you using the same username and password to connect as the username and password that you need for the user account on System A"

No. I had created a second account for "System B." I'd tried logging in using the "System A" account name before, but I think it may have connected through the other account. But today after reading your post, I just deleted the second account and used the "System A" account to connect and all seems well with permissions now. Would you need a real server to manage accounts and permissions?

Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:26:27 pm

Hey Tim, glad it's working.

[Tim Ward] "Would you need a real server to manage accounts and permissions?"

Not really, but permissions on any system with multiple users can get tricky. As it sounds like you know, there are three basic types of permissions in OS X for a file or folder: owner, group, and everyone. By default, when a user creates a new file or folder, they are the "owner" of that file or folder and have read/write access. Also by default, pretty much everyone else (group and everyone) gets read-only access.

There are ways to change this default behavior or add extra permissions through Access Control Lists (ACLs), but all have plusses and minuses. Sounds like all you need is to get read/write access to all the files, so by logging in with the exact same user account when you connect from the second machine (client) you should get access to all the files -- because you're logging in as the same user (once locally, and once over the network).

A downside here is that you won't have the ability to limit permissions if you're logging in as the same user. So, if you ever wanted to limit the access that a user gets from "System B" to read-only, it would be difficult to do without creating another user account for "System B" to use as a login username and password (or using the guest account). There's also the possibility for overwriting and messing up each other's files when they're accessed on two different systems. It sounds like you have thought out your workflow, but just know there are risks if someone gets confused and saves over the wrong file or deletes something they shouldn't have.

So, long story short, the same user will get the same access to the same files -- whether they're logging in locally or over a network connection. If that's all you need, then you should be good to go. If you ever want to add more users and groups, I think you'll find that you can do a fair amount without getting the "server" version of OS X, but just know that it can get complicated.

Good luck, and please post back with any questions.

Dave

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:09:51 pm

Yeah, luckily this is just a temporary setup for one project. If it was anything more permanent, then we'd invest in some hardware and a VAR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]