FORUMS: list search recent posts

I wish to build a San over gigabit ethernet

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Perrot
I wish to build a San over gigabit ethernet
on May 24, 2010 at 1:24:09 pm

HI Bob,
I'm working in Morocco and in my office there are one powermac G5, Two macpros andsoon will come an Xserve Nehalem 8-core.
I wish to put in a 2x2,5 GHz quad core G5 one 6 ports Small tree card and plug Atto R380 with 2 sonnet DX800 formatted in raid 50 (2 raid 5 formatted in Raid 0, isn't it ?). I will aggregate the 6 ports of the small tree with the two built in ports to have an eight ports connection and link all them to a switch gigabit.
I wish to connect to this "server" 6 edit station (one of our customer wish to bring his two macpros) with uncompressed SD et apple compressed HD.
Wish model of gigabit switch may I use (I will need 20 ports), and the choice of quad G5 seems to you reliable and delivery enough bandwith ?
Thank you for your answer.
Regards

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I wish to build a San over gigabit ethernet
on May 24, 2010 at 3:48:59 pm

HI Bob,
there are one powermac G5, Two macpros andsoon will come an Xserve Nehalem 8-core.
I wish to put in a 2x2,5 GHz quad core G5 one 6 ports Small tree card and plug Atto R380 with 2 sonnet DX800 formatted in raid 50 (2 raid 5 formatted in Raid 0, isn't it ?). I will aggregate the 6 ports of the small tree with the two built in ports to have an eight ports connection and link all them to a switch gigabit.
I wish to connect to this "server" 6 edit station (one of our customer wish to bring his two macpros) with uncompressed SD et apple compressed HD.
Wish model of gigabit switch may I use (I will need 20 ports), and the choice of quad G5 seems to you reliable and delivery enough bandwith ?

REPLY -
your server must be a MAC Pro, not a G5. You cannot edit uncompressed HD over ethernet - the maximum bandwidth is about 90MB/sec, which means only compressed HD like ProRes422HQ (which is about 30MB/sec). There is no reason to create a RAID 50 - the single array at RAID 5 will be fast enough for you to do this. I use Small Tree switches. There is also no reason to add the two native ports on the MAC to your link agg - you will not be able to get support (over iChat) from anyone if you have problems. You will find that as you build this system, you may run into problems. Unless you go thru a dealer, I don't know who will help you with all the settings. Companies like Small Tree and Maxx Digital sell all this stuff as a turnkey package, and will help you if you get into trouble.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on May 24, 2010 at 4:08:37 pm

Thank you for your answer. I didn't talk about uncompressed HD.
Why the latest model of G5 with 2x 4XPCIE, one 16xPCIE and one 16x couldn't be the server?
I'm a mac technician since1993 and specialized in post-production and video editing on FCP since 1999 ; sometimes I'm working with dealers for their video customers, so I don't go to local dealers in Morocco to have help, except Atreïd in France, but he only works with fiber. I've already installed and repaired lot of FCP video editing stations.
So I went here for help and learn...
Do you know if Small tree sells outside US ?

Philippe Perrot

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 25, 2010 at 1:46:04 am

Why the latest model of G5 with 2x 4XPCIE, one 16xPCIE and one 16x couldn't be the server?

REPLY - Apple no longer makes a G5. You have been a MAC technician since 1993, you should know that the G5 is discontinued, and it is now called the MAC Pro. A Mac Pro can absolutely be the server.

Do you know if Small tree sells outside US ?

REPLY - yes, Small Tree sells internationally.

http://www.small-tree.com
http://www.small-tree.com/contact_us_a/124.htm

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on May 25, 2010 at 2:54:45 am

I know that is a discontinued model since 2007, I have one, and for the same reason the last version of FCP doesn't run on it. This G5 could't be anymore an edit station in our company, eventualy a ingest station.
Server should be a good recycling for it (small tree card and ATT R380 card seem to be compliant with this computer). That's the reason why I asked you if there is a technical reason, not factory discontinuity to not use this.
Regards
Philippe Perrot

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 25, 2010 at 1:28:30 pm

the G5 has PCI-X slots. All new cards, like the ATTO R380 and the Small Tree 6 port ethernet card are PCIe. The new cards simply will not fit into an older G5. It will not work.

Your G5 also maxes out at OS-X 10.5.8. Even if you could get the cards to work in your older G5 (which you can't), your server must be running the same operating system or later than the clients. You can't have OS-X 10.6 clients with and OS-X 10.5 server.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on May 25, 2010 at 3:53:41 pm

Hey Bob, for a small bit of relatively useless Apple trivia, their very last round of G5 computers known as "Late 2005" (including the 2.5GHz Quad) included PCI Express slots.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp37

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on May 25, 2010 at 4:03:45 pm

Thank you Mr Klee, I talked about this model, 2,5 Ghz Quad who have 4 PCIE ports....
On our network, we still have G5 running on 10.5.8 and Macpros under 10.6.3 and I didn't get any special troubles with this.
But I followed Bob 's advice, I've talked to Small Tree people, they are very kind and helpful.
I will try this data share soon.
Regards
Philippe Perrot

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on May 26, 2010 at 12:19:25 am

Following Bob\'s advice is usually pretty smart. Ideally, you want to keep your server updated ahead of (or the same as) your clients - not the other way around. No harm in an older server as long as it can take the new OS. Unfortunately, as you know, that G5 won\'t go beyond 10.5.8.

Hope everything gets sorted out for you!

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Jun 12, 2010 at 12:00:26 am

We tried the G5 and it doesn't work.
Mac Pro with 8gb of ram is the way to go.

good luck!

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on Jun 12, 2010 at 12:43:07 am

Thank for your answer. Wich model of G5 did you tried ?

Return to posts index

marcus lyall
on Jun 12, 2010 at 8:49:41 am

The dual 2ghz g5 with pci express slots.
For some reason, it used up huge amounts of CPU. Like 90% of both at all times. Whereas it only used about 10% of each core on a quad core mac pro.
Other people I know have had the same issue using g5's as servers. No idea why.
It doesn't work.
But we are using the g5 to run our tape backup system, which it does really well.

My advice....
You're doing the right thing by building this. I don't know whether you'll get 6 edit seats running from it. You'll defintely get at least 4. But getting the Ethernet switch configured properly was the hardest bit for us. Look through this forum and get the best switch you can. And try to find someone who really knows about networking, because configuring the network is not easy.

I did it myself, with the help of a very geeky friend who used to set up massive networks. It still cost me about the same as buying it as a package from a reseller. As I said in another post.... If you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:47:37 pm

Thank you Marcus for your advice. I'll sell the quad and use a 2,66 quad macpro as server. I'll buy small tree card within few month. I'll tell you If I'll succeed tu set up this network with how many workstations.
Now I have cable length trouble, impossible to enable gigabit ethernet beetween two macpros, only 100b-t.
Regards

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:35:42 am

MAC Pro's all have 1000baseT native ethernet ports (Gigabit ethernet). The only reason you may be getting slow speeds between two modern MAC Pro computers is that you have cable issues. Use a new cable.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Philippe Perrot
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:10:15 am

It's that I've done yesterday, I baught a new cable. It's working now !
Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]