FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAB Roundup and a few questions

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Hurwitz
NAB Roundup and a few questions
on May 12, 2010 at 10:12:16 pm

Hi Bob,
Did you ever get around to writing the NAB round up?
Now for a few questions
How will SATA 3 change the SAN and Local storage architecture?
Will SATA 3 drives support 10Gbe at a fast enough rate for multiple
HD(uncompressed) & 2K systems?
Is 10Gbe still limited to a 10meter cable run?
What's up with the "blow your doors off system" you mentioned
in this forum awhile ago?
Hope you don't mind the personal salutation but I beleive
many others would be interested in your thoughts

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: NAB Roundup and a few questions
on May 14, 2010 at 10:45:22 pm

Did you ever get around to writing the NAB round up?

REPLY - yes, it's coming out on Creative Cow sometime soon.

How will SATA 3 change the SAN and Local storage architecture?

REPLY - 6 Gig SATA is the next step. It will go from 600MB/sec to 2200Mb/sec for a 16 bay array - which means more streams, and ability to easily handle 2K and 4K. 6 Gig drives makes 10 gig ethernet a reality for multiple systems, without relying on a fibre channel SAN architecture.

Will SATA 3 drives support 10Gbe at a fast enough rate for multiple
HD(uncompressed) & 2K systems?

REPLY - 6 Gig drives will allow this - yes. Current 16 bay SATA arrays can handle TWO systems right now with 10 Gig. Our very own Nick Hasson is running two MAC systems with 10 Gig ethernet using Smoke on MAC with 2K DPX files. We showed this working at NAB. Once the 6 Gig drives are here, having 6 guys working at the same time will be no big deal. We can do this now with SAS drives, but it's just too expensive. And remember, 10 Gig cards are expensive too !

Is 10Gbe still limited to a 10meter cable run?

REPLY - there are two cable types - TwinAx which can run 10 meters (30 feet) and Fibre cable - yes, modern 10 gig cards have copper ports that rely on SFP+ adaptors (rated at 10Gig rates) and these are about $400 each for the SFP+) and about $1950 per 10 Gig card. So it adds up quickly. ALLEGEDLY the RJ45 10 Gig cards will come out "soon" - and these cards will use CAT 6A (6 augmented) cable. For short runs, regular CAT 6e will work as well. But these cards (and these switches) do not exist right now for 10 Gig - the only 10 gig cards and switches are SFP+ FIBRE ! (and twinax for direct connect, but that is short). It is certainly confusing to think that 10 Gig etherent runs over fibre cable. But that is for right now, not tomorrow.

What's up with the "blow your doors off system" you mentioned
in this forum awhile ago?

REPLY - I don't remember. Right now, CAT DV blows my mind, and it's only $340 !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 15, 2010 at 2:49:00 pm

Bob Zelin: REPLY - there are two cable types - TwinAx which can run 10 meters (30 feet) and Fibre cable

So does the fibre cable give you longer runs than the TwinAx?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 15, 2010 at 5:47:50 pm

you can only run twinax for 30 feet. You can run fibre for miles -

I know very little about fibre, but I have recently learned that most fibre is 62.6 micrometer cable, and you need 50 micrometer cable to run long runs of 10 Gig ethernet. What does all of that mean - I don't know.

What I do know is that Belden is all ready and geared up for 10Gig ethernet on copper cable (called CAT 6A). This is the 10GX series from belden which uses regular RJ45 connectors. This cable (which is now being made by a bunch of companies) is spec'd to run the normal 100 meters (328 feet). SO, where the heck is the 10 Gig RJ45
cards and switches ? "soon, it will happen soon" says everyone that I have spoken to about this. There are apparantly major heat issues with the chipsets when they run and drive the copper cable, and there are no issues with SFP+ interfaces (fibre) - but of course, all of this wil change. The "world" is geared up for copper and RJ45 installation (like telecom crews), and fibre, while it has gotten easier, is still a pain in the butt. But for now - if you want 10 gig, and you want it more than 30 feet away from your server, it's run on fibre cable. I have done the copper installation (twinax), and it gives you 350Mb/sec on a MAC (as per AJA System Test), which is absolutely amazing. So you can see that soon, bandwidth will not be an issue (until people want to do 4 streams of uncompressed 2K from one system, in a shared storage enviornment - it's always something). But for mere mortals (like us), 10 Gig will be teriffic, and the end of fibre for most users (because it will be cheap, and easy).

But life on the "bleeding edge" always causes issues.
There is no question that the "big boys" (Intel, Siemon, Belden, etc.) all want this to happen, and is the future of networking for both PC's and MAC.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on May 16, 2010 at 1:57:26 am

Interesting stuff! Thanks Bob

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index